Where to start with revision.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Catwriter
Private E-1

Where to start with revision.

Postby Catwriter » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:51 am

So I finished my novel and it's been kicking around for the last few months. I really, really want to start revising it because I know how badly it sucks. But where do I start? I've been correcting grammar and that sort of thing, but what about bigger issues like plot and characters?

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Where to start with revision.

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:21 pm

I've just finished revising a book I wrote and self-published seven years ago. My grammar is pretty good, so I concentrated on the story and the characters. I read the whole story through twice and jotted down revisions while I was reading. The second reading either endorsed changes that needed to be made or made me think that perhaps that revision wasn't needed after all. Then I retyped the whole manuscript. Some of the revisions I'd jotted down made it into the final version, others were discarded. I also included completely new chunks that came to me while I was typing. The whole process was very fluid.

In short, my advice to you is to read what you've created and to have pen and pad handy.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Where to start with revision.

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Return to FAQs