[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
"The story doesn't take itself too seriously." : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

"The story doesn't take itself too seriously."

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: "The story doesn't take itself too seriously."

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:28 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:08 am

MDonovan
Private E-1

Postby MDonovan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:51 pm

I think this is a way of saying the author knows the story is meant to be fluff, and so hasn't taken a lot of time to make it emotionally intense. Or, maybe the story's got quite a bit of comic relief in there.

It could also be a sort of cop out. If the author came up with a dramatic, high-concept plot and just couldn't execute well, he may excuse himself by saying this.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:51 am

I never understood "the story doesn't take itself too seriously" but at least it has some sense in it. Not like the comment made by the reviewer of one of my books: "The story is there, between the covers". I admit it was an awful book. It waffled and wandered and was way too long, but I found the reviewer's comment fatuous. It smacked of Jerry Colonna's version of "Mary had a little lamb" where the lambs "were a-wagging their tails behind them" (Where else would they wag them? Did she think they would wag them in front?) Of course my story was between the covers. Where else would it be? :ugeek:
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:29 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:28 am

I am no longer taking this discussion very seriously …
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

lifeontherun
Private First Class

Postby lifeontherun » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm grateful for this conversation...I've learned a lot.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:51 pm

I'm boggled how many people are having trouble with this one. :?

But then I think James' fingers got ahead of his brain on part of that last message. Pretty sure he meant it's an insult to say the story *does* take itself too seriously. Taking yourself or your story too seriously isn't a good thing. It means you think you or your story are more important than you really are. Kind of like a story that has a stick up its butt. It's self-important. That's not good.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:28 pm

The Rule of Three

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question