[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
After reading through the critique guidelines : Critique Guidelines • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

After reading through the critique guidelines

Give a critique/ Get a critique. You must be a registered forum member to view and post on the Critique forums. Read Critique Guidelines before posting or critiquing.
zzzTERRYzzz
Private E-1

After reading through the critique guidelines

Postby zzzTERRYzzz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:41 pm

I could still use clarification on a few issues, if anyone would be so kind as to answer.
My first question is about font size. When I'm writing, I typically enlarge the font to reduce eyestrain. Should I reduce it when posting my work here? If so, what size works best? 10 point? 12?
File type. I'm writing on Word 2016, which uses .docx. As it pertains to work submitted on this site, are there any known issues with this file type? Should I convert my work to a different file type before submitting something here?
Double-spacing between paragraphs. Does the site do this automatically, or do I do this?
Justified work. I'm referring to the feature in Word that evenly distributes words on the page to make things look more polished. Should I left-align before submitting for critique?
And finally, indentations. The guideline states that a post should include them, but on the submissions I've looked through, I have yet to find even one paragraph indentation. Is this in reference to something else, or is there a trick to it? I'm wondering if the use of Justification (see above) might throw things off.
If someone could take a moment to answer these questions, it would go a long way toward making my first submission less clumsy.
Thank-you in advance.
Now see, I said I was done and forgot to ask my most pressing question. My book is an adventure fiction, which doesn't seem to fit in any of the site's categories. Where should I post it?

pls
Site Admin

Re: After reading through the critique guidelines

Postby pls » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:25 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Rather than increase the font size and then have to decrease it to send to agents, why don't you just increase the window size within Word. It's located in the bottom right hand corner of the document. It defaults to 100% but you can increase it to whatever size you want. That way you don't have to change the font size from 12 (always 12), which could mess up other parts of the document.

Do not justify your novel. It should stay on left align.

Literary fiction as Paul stated, or if it has thriller elements post there.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:48 pm

I just want to be sure that you understand that this forum is populated by normal people and not editors or publishers or other writing professionals that you associate the magazine with. It's a lot less formal and not at all like submitting a piece to an agent or magazine.

We're your peers, and any feedback you get back needs to be weighed against what you think is best for the project.
The Rule of Three

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:02 pm

zzzTERRYzzz
Private E-1

Postby zzzTERRYzzz » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone! :) And I do realize I'm not submitting for publication here, I'm just type A when it come to my work. Meaning if it doesn't look exactly as it should, I won't rest until it's fixed. Although, it's entirely possible that it's me who needs to be fixed. I'll reserve that for another site, though.

Return to Critique Guidelines