[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Use More Expressive Words article : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Use More Expressive Words article

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Use More Expressive Words article

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 pm

I think there's a difference between teaching kids to expand their vocabulary and telling them never to use certain words.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:27 am

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:38 am

What I find interesting about this topic is from personal experience. I paid very little attention in English classes in grade/high school. I did just enough to pass. Math and sciences were my passion along with computers and architectural drafting. In college, I applied myself a lot more in all of the non-core courses. So, if these methods were taught in grade/high school I don't remember but not because it was so long ago. I think I may have learned all of what was taught in the 12 years in grade/high school in my colleges studies. I remember early on in a creative writing class and English 101 the professors correcting my work and that really helped me. That and a dictionary and thesaurus :D .

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:55 am

I can understand why teachers want students to find more detailed or precise words to describe their lunch than "good" or "bad", but what point is there in banning "said?" And that is one I specifically remember from when I was in school because we got docked for using that so-called boring word, and I'm still bitter about it. ;) But seriously, putting "said is bad" into a young writer's mind almost seems like sabotage. I just don't get the reasoning.

I loved the way the author of that piece made a joke of it by adding the colorful dialogue tags though. Made me chuckle.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:04 pm

"My word," she said. "What pray thee are they teaching young'ns in today's world?" Now when I was a girl in school,(yes they had schools back then, don't be sarcastic) the teachers all encouraged using new words. If you heard a new word or did not know how to spell it, one was told to look it up in the dictionary. When I told my children that, they would say, "How can we look up something if we don't know how to spell it." My reply, "Sound it out and try different ways of spelling it, till you find the word." Phonetics are not taught today, and my children now are thankful that I taught them to spell and think out words phonetically. NUFF SED.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:21 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:30 pm

They're reacting to stories like.

We went to the mall and had a good time. At the mall we ate sandwiches and they were good. Then we went shopping for a good pair of underpants for frog catching.

"Good," I said.

"Yes, good," my mom said back.

Good underpants are always good for going for a good paddle in the good frog pond in the good park next to the good slaughterhouse.

Replacing "said" with other stuff is stupid, but it's an easy target since it's in everyone's writing.
The Rule of Three

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Yeahhhh Shadowwalker. Guess us 'oldies' could teach those young'ns a thing or two. tee hee
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:41 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question