[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
What Made You Want To Become A Writer? : Conversation question • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What Made You Want To Become A Writer?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
nhope
Lieutenant

Re: What Made You Want To Become A Writer?

Postby nhope » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:18 pm

I can't say that I've 'become a writer', but I can say that when I write, I feel a connection to my self and to the universe (don't laugh) that I don't feel at any other time. I look at things differently, sort of from the outside in, and feel that I really 'get' people, but I don't necessarily care for them because truth be told, people scare me. We have so much power and are capable of so many triumphs but prefer to take the comfortable road and to some point rationalize our gifts away. I feel that writing is something I should be doing, I must be doing. but I don't know why. I just know that I must.

edit: btw, I LOVE this thread.

miketom
Sergeant

Postby miketom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:49 am

What started me? I started reading as soon as I could make out the words, and I wanted to tell stories about my dogs (stuffed toys but they would live for the stories). I wasn't (still aren't) very talkative, so I wrote out one story. After that, liking a lot of tv, I wanted to tell stories with those characters and some I made up. Mine would be the heroes, and the tv heroes would be the support cast. Still later, these new people kept popping into my head, banging, demanding that I tell their stories. I shut them up by writing. And I haven't stopped.
Formerly known as J T Hall and Lyn Carceo
Creator of a hanson/dragon/dinosaur world

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:19 am

[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

nean
Private E-1

Postby nean » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:18 pm

I enjoyed reading everyone's replies, many caused me to smile, others brought giggles.

For me, what else? It was a boy. In 1975, I wanted to impress a boy who was in my creative writing class who was my age but seemed much older. :ugeek: It worked! He was impressed (or pretended to be). It was the beginning of my addiction to that one-of-a-kind rush I receive from blessing people with words.

Shimmitar
Private E-2

Postby Shimmitar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:31 pm

When i finally realized that i couldn't make video games, and that writing was a way in which i could unleash my creativity.

Rosedarling
Sergeant

Postby Rosedarling » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:47 pm

I have all these stories inside my head that are screaming to get out. Over the years I've been working toward getting these ideas in print. What's in my head looks different in print, and what I see on the page is different than what I hear when I read aloud. I'm searching for that happy medium where it all comes together. This is the challenge I've decided to undertake. And, of course, let's not forget that it's fun.
Formerly known as rosebud.

miketom
Sergeant

Postby miketom » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:41 am

I have these stories in my head, just knocking about in there, trying to kick their way out. Only way I can get them to knock it off is to write it down as I see it.
Formerly known as J T Hall and Lyn Carceo
Creator of a hanson/dragon/dinosaur world

Evie_Redding
Private E-1

Postby Evie_Redding » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:17 pm

All my life, I have been "The Learner" in the family, mentally devouring anything I could get my hands on. I grew up, believing it my passion to stay in academia, so I became an instructor and educator. But, I found the market for my subject matter to be thin in my area, so I looked to other avenues to express myself.

No matter what I've done in my life, writing has been the one consistency as long as I can remember. While others were out playing with dolls and climbing trees, I was writing about horses or my pets and their secret lives. So, while I am now grown and have various jobs relating to teaching and instruction, I always returned to the stories that beckoned to be told.

It was my husband who finally gave me the push to take my own writing seriously. I had been doing it for so long, why not make a career out of it?

I am now working on my first, full-length novel...it's my dream to answer, "I am an author." when people ask me what I do for a living.

-Tanna

esheyla
Private E-1

Postby esheyla » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:21 pm

I started writing stories as soon as I learned to write words with a pencil, (4 or 5 years old?) and have been making up crap and writing ever since. :D

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:20 am

I was always into movies. Then I discovered I could manipulate and combine random videos, audios and characters to create new stories (from already existing ones) just for fun.
I always wanted and still want to study and become associated to movies. I'm not only interested into directing movies, but I'm interested into Editing them (since I am a video-editor, but self educated), I'm also interested into Screenwriting and making plots, and Production. I'm interested into every aspect of Videos, generally. But for a number of reasons I can't really achieve that dream of my life. Though I still have a hope, somewhere in my disappointed heart :D
So one day, I'm like: if I can't make my stories into films, at least I can make them come true into words.
But truth be told, even if I get better to writing and even if I publish something, I don't think I'll ever consider writing as my thing or call myself a writer.
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question