My Publishing Story

OccasionalWriter
Private E-1

My Publishing Story

Postby OccasionalWriter » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:40 pm

So, I was a writer for a long time, and produced an enormous amount of books. I finally sent out five query letters to five literary agents, and got five rejections. I then realized my first book does not follow the formula for a romance, or even the format of your typical work of mainstream fiction. I was not querying to the right people. It is actually literary; it is a bit of a teen romance, with elements of suspense and mystery. It is not very long, though it is a novel. It is gothic. It is approximately 53,000 words. It is appropriate for both youths and adults, but the subject matter in all of my books can be a bit mature, and that is why I suggest parental supervision. I decided to go the self-publishing route. I then decided to publish four more of my books on a free e-books website, and I get no royalties at all, only exposure.

pls
Site Admin

Re: My Publishing Story

Postby pls » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 pm

And in another post you say you think you have writer's block and can't write?

I sense disconnect here. Which is it? You can write, or not?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Five query letters isn't even a drop in the proverbial bucket.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

OccasionalWriter
Private E-1

Postby OccasionalWriter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Well, it's true that I have writer's block right now. I am published, but I would like to get more work done. I have heard before that a writer receives a lot of rejections before getting an acceptance, but it was a good reminder. Thank you for your input. I'll continue to query to agents and to discipline myself to sit behind the computer.

Return to General Questions & Discussions