[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I feel like I've hit a road block. : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I feel like I've hit a road block.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
roda havet
Captain

I feel like I've hit a road block.

Postby roda havet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 am

I post several poems awhile back and I'm trying to work on my novel. But it seems I've hit a road block, it's like my mind has just shut down on me when it comes to ideas. Or really even the ones I have and need to put on paper. I'm hoping it only has to do with my computer screen looking to bright lately, even when the brightness is turn down as low as possible. When I sit here and try to write for my novel I seem to be at a lose for words and I know there is a lot more to add to it. Has anyone else came across a problem like this before and if so how did you get back to writing with no problems? Any and all advice is welcomed. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: I feel like I've hit a road block.

Postby pls » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:46 am

Sure. Everyone (except maybe James, who is a pre-programmed writing machine) runs into roadblocks. Sit back and think about where the novel is headed. Make sure you know how it's going to end. Try this: number a paper from one to fifteen. Write a short description of the start of the novel. Then, under #15, write out your ending. Go back to #2 and write more description. Then, on to #14 and so on. If you can fill out all 15, you have a road map to success in front of you.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Thank you both for the advice. I'll try that and see if it works. I have somewhat of a plan that I wrote out long before I started on my novel, so I go back to it and do what both of you said. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Take a break. Don't stress over it. Read a book, watch a movie. Take a day or two off. What's happening is your brain is trying to formulate your thoughts into something sensible and when it's done, you'll be able to write. Works for me every time.

Something else - I can't write using my laptop, has to be longhand. When I place my fingers on the keyboard nothing happens. When I pick up my purple pen, the words flow. Strange, no?

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:10 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:52 pm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:43 am

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:38 am

His Majesty 777
Private E-1

Postby His Majesty 777 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:55 pm

What I do is put aside what I'm stuck on and try working on a short story or maybe work on the second draft of one of my other stories; anything, as long as I'm doing something writing-related.

Next

Return to Conversation question