[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Promotional Tools that work : Promotional Tips • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Promotional Tools that work

Laycrew
Major

Promotional Tools that work

Postby Laycrew » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:02 pm

I am by no means an expert but I'm playing with all sorts of stuff to get visibility.

One of the first things Oldtimer and I both tried was Underground Books pitch event. Our books are still featured there.

There is a guy in the UK- Mark Dawson- who has mastered Facebook Ads. I've watched some of his videos and got a few tips on how to run an effective ad even though I fail miserably with the Power Editor. The one I ran focusing on my books in Kindle Unlimited did get me a bump in page reads. With the way Kindle Unlimited works, it is hard to tell how effective an ad is. He uses the ads for box sets of his books and really makes the best money that way. I don't have a box set yet. Getting closer though.

Running Free promotions through KDP Select- I have the Serial that has 3 parts out now. I'm trying to use my free days to encourage buy through on the other parts. I'm still experimenting. I had a good run on running a promotion through a Fiverr gig- BKNights. Many authors have used him. It amounted to 217 downloads that day. With only a little movement with purchases of my other books. But they were at a standstill the month before. A boost of page reads with all of my books in Kindle Unlimited was the big boost. I have links to all my books in the back of each one.

Today I'm in a cross promotion deal with other Science Fiction and Fantasy Authors who have their first in series books free today. This cost me nothing but time cross promoting. Some of the other authors have lots of fans, lots of subscribers to mailing lists, and such. I have had over 100 downloads so far today. The second one is free too. Hoping to push sales on Part three. I wish I could have had Part 4 done by now.

The one tool that everyone says work and that I'm floundering with is creating a mailing list. Getting subscribers would be the best thing to come out of the freebies I'm running. But I'm still learning. It is somewhat overwhelming at times. But the mailing list is something I really need to do.

The author that organized the big promotion is doing another one for Fantasy books at $0.99 the first of December. I'm getting ready to do that with the Dragon one. Running effective $0.99 promos seem to be less successful than free but watching how the free one is panning out, there could be more success there. I'm also getting it ready for paperback before Christmas so maybe I will get a boost there. I really need to get the mailing list figured out.

Also The Legend of Little Sharpshooter is featured on the Book Goodies website now. I'm waiting to see how that exposure is going to help.

Any questions or requests for more information, let me know. I have NaNo words to write...

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Promotional Tools that work

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:47 pm

The lengths that you are going to reveal just how serious you are about writing, Laycrew. Thank you for showing us what can be done and how to do it. :D
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:57 pm

The second big author cross-promotion thing is starting tomorrow. Everyone participating has a sci-fi or fantasy novel that is $.99 this weekend. She was able to pull in a trade published author with a big following in Australia. Everyone will be sending out the information about the deal to their mailing lists, and all social media accounts Sat and Sunday.

Here's the link if you feel so inclined to check it out.

My Dragon novel is in this one. I had to manually set the price to $.99 and make sure I did the same for Australia and Canada. That book has had minimal movement over the past month so it will be exciting to see how this deal pans out.

I'm still gaining some sales on other parts of my serial from last months deal since I had so many downloads. I've gained a few reviews. They've been great so far.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:15 pm

The one thing that's missing is some indication of how all this effort has translated into sales for you. I'm not after specifics; just some idea. I'm still getting downloads for my freebie, but that's it - for no effort on my part. If you're selling books through all this, I need to follow your lead.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:43 pm

So the big promo event happened this weekend. Kind of an interesting turnout. Everyone sends out info to their mailing lists, tweet, Facebook, all other social media sites I don't use.

My sales seemed to be about average for most authors. I probably had 14 sales total. There were 85 books/authors in the promo. The gal running the promo said she can confirm 895 sales from the event. There might have been more if they didn't buy the book in the end through the links on her site.

So I think it was a success. I've paid some money on some .99 promos and had about the same results and paid nothing for this one.

The guy that made bank had submitted a boxed set he was running for .99. He had the only box set in that promo. He totally sold the most. He also got a BookBub that weekend. He had well over 1000 sales! :shock:

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Which "big promo event" was this?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:13 pm

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Thank you for the link, Laycrew. I've added it to my Favorites. :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Return to Promotional Tips