[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
When to capitalize titles : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

When to capitalize titles

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
areale912
Private E-1

When to capitalize titles

Postby areale912 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:37 am

I am going through a huge crisis when it comes to capitalizing job titles. I would love any advice.

In my story, I never know when to capitalize specific titles, especially regarding a princess. I know that I capitalize it when people are replacing her name with it, such as "You have to listen to me, Princess!" or when it precedes her name, such as "Princess Liandra, please listen to your mother!" But other than that, I'm completely hopeless.

In this sentence, would it be capitalized? "The princess said we have to rescue her prince."
And what about here? "It is quite alright," said the princess.

Then I have a situation with the Second-in-Command of an army.

Do I capitalize it here? "Hubert was a fearless warrior, which is why he was made second-in-command of the Glorian army."

It baffles me to no end :oops: . I have no idea what to do. I consulted my copyeditor's handbook and it's not directly addressing my situation.

I greatly appreciate any and all assistance!

Thank you!

pls
Site Admin

Re: When to capitalize titles

Postby pls » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:09 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Re: When to capitalize titles

Postby DrG2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:40 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General