[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
3 questions... : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

3 questions...

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
nhope
Lieutenant

3 questions...

Postby nhope » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:51 am

I was reading "A Room of One's Own" and I wrote a few things down and would like to hear the opinions of anyone other than myself. :?

1. Do you think women write for different reasons than men?

2. Would you rather be labeled one of the greatest thinkers or one of the greatest writers of the 21st century?

3. Can someone understand something so well they are able to write about it as its opposite?

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: 3 questions...

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:00 pm

1. I believe everyone writes for different reasons. And there are thousands of reasons to write.

2. Greatest Writer. What does a thinker do?

3. Not sure I understand. We have great examples of polar opposites, aka, right wing - left wing.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:28 pm

I don't think men and women write for different reasons or that they write for the same reasons. Like Terry said, everyone writes for different reasons.
I THINK I'd like to be though of as a GREAT WRITER.
I'm an elementary teacher and I can write about what students aren't supposed to do by having my young character do it, too. But I'm not sure that's what you mean, is it?

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:59 pm

For questions number 1 & 2 I agree with Terry and Max2011 on them. Everyone has their own way of writing. And being labeled a great writer would better in my opinion. But as for question number 3, I really not sure. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Agree with the others that people write for different reasons, and it has little to do with our sex.

When I see "great thinker" that means great philosopher to me, or person with world changing ideas, usually somebody ahead of their time socially and/or politically, so I'm going with that one. I'd want to put those thoughts into words that move people, of course, but the words don't have to be pretty.

I don't understand the 3rd question.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Paul, I'm not sure that's true of all women writers but you may be on to something. Women writers tend toward "feeling" and men tend toward "doing". Women also explain more and men get to the point quicker, with probably more action. As to why anyone writes, I think there is something on an internal level, recognized or not.

I would like to be labeled a great thinker, or at least one who by his words makes a difference. I guess a thinker would also have to be a writer otherwise, how would one know? But maybe they go hand in hand as stories do - those that make you think, those that make you react, and those that simply entertain you.

My last question...think of the negative of a photo. Could you understand a person's character so well that you could write his inverse. A kind, compassionate, humanitarian man who, while having a life experience thrust upon him, turns angry, mean, bitter. Would this happen to him? What would turn him inside himself?

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:50 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:31 am

1. Do you think women write for different reasons than men?

I think this is a redundant question. When you are a writer, it doesn't matter which sex you are. You write because there is something inside that almost propels you to write.I have male friends who are writers, transgender friends who are writes and women friends who are writers. They all write because they have stories to tell that need expression and their best way of doing this is through being an author.

2. Would you rather be labeled as one of the greatest thinkers or one of the greatest writers of the 21st century?

I have to agree with Terry, what does a thinker do if he/she does not get the WORD out. In order to write one must do a great deal of thinking to express those deep thoughts. My question would be is the thinker's thoughts related to philosophy, scientific, political or what? In either case if all one does is just think and not do, what good is the thought? I'd rather be a writer.

3. Can someone understand something so well they are able to write about it as its opposite?

Like other people, I'm not quite sure what you mean, but perhaps a person of science could be extremely versed in his/her field that they would be able to reverse what has been established as truth and then write a rebuttal of what has been established. And that's MHO.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:05 pm

We write for many reasons, but, yes, women often write for different reasons than men. Or so they tell me.

I'd rather be one of the greatest thinkers. Being both would be nice, but they obviously aren't the same thing.

Being able to write about something's opposite is standard training for both writers and orators. If you can do both sides, you probably can't do either side very well.

Next

Return to Conversation question