[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
One way love is measured... : Take it Outside! • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

One way love is measured...

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
roda havet
Captain

Re: One way love is measured...

Postby roda havet » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:43 pm

I never thought it's the amount you spend on something for someone, it is always the thought that counts. My husband and me have always vowed to never buy anyone a card or gift for any occasion not even birthdays or anniversaries. So I found a way around that vow and I make him a card for every special occasion that arises. Which he says means more to him than any thing I could ever buy. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:19 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

George2
Private E-2

Postby George2 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:56 pm

The Gift of the Magi (new last word):

"Darling, where's your engagement ring?" he asked as he crumpled into the chair.
"All that money I still owe and all to show how much I love you."

"I sold it," she answered, holding her hand out to him, "to pay off your car."

Ah, love, ain't it grand.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:19 pm

Some people are happier with the simpler things in life. I have always treasured my birthstone engagement ring. I would feel guilty if I had anything that cost a fortune on my finger. That just seems so pointless and such a waste of money. My wedding was bigger than I wanted it to be because of my mother-in-law and even then it was not even that big or grand. I don't like being the center of attention. I feel big rings and huge production of a wedding are for those people that like attention and get their personal value from appearances and superficial things.

I would much rather be known by the smile and kindness I show to others and my family. My value or feelings of importance doesn't come from the size of the diamond I have on my finger. That doesn't show my true worth as a wife or mother on this earth. That is more important than any thing I might own. No matter how much a ring costs, it doesn't show the worth of the man that placed that ring on my finger either.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:43 am

[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:44 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Well, I'm late to the party but I'll just add that, in my experience, disapproval of big diamonds (and other non-necessary luxuries), as if owning them represents a moral shortcoming, is largely done by those who can't afford them.

Most of my peers and I started out with a modest or fake diamond, which was appropriate for our income levels at the time. Most of us who stayed married and gained more means over time ended up with one of those evil big-azz rocks on our fingers ourselves, heh. And of course those who weren't into jewelry bought other non-necessary luxuries according to their own preferences.

So, I don't usually think of any big message behind the size of a diamond but that people tend to have lower or higher spending levels overall according to their incomes. It only gets my notice a bit when it doesn't match up. Like if the ring looks like it represents six years of the couples' combined salary lol. If it's a wealthy couple and the wife has a tiny diamond, I'd probably figure she was sentimental about her original engagement ring or just not into jewelry enough to bother upgrading. But if some guy was loaded and he refused to spring for anything halfway decent, I might wonder about that, too. All JMHO naturally.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:50 pm

Blow up the bridge?!

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:15 am

I never really thought too much about diamonds. When I was married for the first time, I knew my husband could not afford a diamond, so we decided on a lovely pearl ring. My mother said pearls mean tears and tears is what I got, as that marriage ended in divorce. I waited 25 years before I found the right guy. He gave me two very large diamonds set in the middle of six small ones to set it off. These diamonds were taken from the rings of his two previous wives (they both died) and reset in a ring just for me. When we married, we went to the flea market and bought a fake wedding band, no one ever knew the difference. One day there was a reset your diamonds at Marshall Fields in Milwaukee and I asked if it would be okay to have the engagement ring reset into just one ring. So we both designed what the ring should be and now i treasure that ring with all my heart. The reason why? In the last few years before Matt passed away (29 years together and never apart) he would put on his ring and bring mine into me saying, give me your ring finger and he would slip the ring on my finger and say "love you", I'd say the same, he'd kiss me and then off he would go to church. If I felt well enough I'd go to church with him. This was a ritual I miss very much. I don't wear the ring very often but when I do slip it on my finger I always say to myself. "love you" and kiss the ring in remembrance of the greatest thing that ever happened to me...being married to Matt the love of my life.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!