[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
One way love is measured... : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

One way love is measured...

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
roda havet
Captain

Re: One way love is measured...

Postby roda havet » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm

My husband and me got engaged then found a place about an hour away from our families in the country. Then one night around 8:30 pm or 9:00 pm I called up my friend asked her and her dad to meet us. We got married then had dinner at IHop, I can still remember what I had to eat that night. Funny it's been a little over 12 years. But it's moments like those we never forget. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Quoyle
Private First Class

Postby Quoyle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:06 pm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:17 am

They were a little but I was just a week or so short of being 22. My birthday and anniversary are in the same, with my anniversary being at the beginning and my birthday being a little closer to the end. Though they all got over being upset within a day or two. :)

I second what Quoyle said George2, thank you for the walk down memory lane. :D
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Do any of these celebrities clean out their bank accounts to buy the ring? A large ring may not mean love, but what does a tiny ring mean when you have when you have a hundred million dollars in the bank? A large ring certainly indicates the person who bought it is generous. A small ring from that same person would tell me there's going to be trouble in paradise in short order.

Big weddings and large rings may mean nothing to one individual, but this does not mean they aren't important, and meaningful to another. Many dream of big weddings and large rings, and for good reason. "Providing for" may sound old-fashioned today, but it's just as important now as ever, and lage weddings and large rings indicate that money will not be a problem.

Money may not buy happiness, but it certainly gives those who have it a lot of reasons not to be unhappy. This much is certain, poverty doesn't buy happiness, either, and poverty, in fact, is one of the leading causes of divorce. More people argue over money than over anything else.

going deeply in debt for a big wedding and a large ring may not be smart, but if you have the money, and if it she's dreamed of a bog ring and an expensive wedding, then a small ring and a cheap wedding is as stupid as it gets.

And, yes, sometimes spending a lot of money does spell love. Absolutely it does. Those who think it doesn't have either never been in love, or have never had any money. There's no difference between spending a million dollars on a ring, and spending your last hundred dollars to buy the one you love and want to marry a birthday present, even though you aren't sure how you'll make the car payment without that hundred bucks.

Who doesn't want to spend money on someone they love?

When you have millions of dollars, you can do this without worrying about the car payment, so why not do it? Do you really want her walking into a party where everyone else is as rich as you are, and have a five hundred dollar ring on her finger?

George2
Private E-2

Postby George2 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:09 pm

Last edited by George2 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Nicely put, George.

The point to me is that if you're measuring love by the size of the diamond, you're probably not in love.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:12 pm

The Rule of Three

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:03 pm

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:12 pm

For some reason this subject reminded me of O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi. Or at least a different spin on it.

"Darling, where's your engagement ring? Did you lose it?" he asked as he crumpled into the chair, "All that money I still owe and all to show how much I love you."
"I sold it," she answered, holding her hand out to him, "to pay off your debt."
The Rule of Three

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:08 pm

There's another old story*, fairy tale maybe, where this couple works as a maid and butler (or gardener or something) for a very wealthy woman and one day, the wealthy woman is out and the maid wears the necklace and loses it. The couple is mortified, buys a replacement on credit, and pays dearly for the next few decades. After all this time after wearing the real pearl necklace the wealthy woman loses it and is telling the maid about it, in an off-hand way. The maid is set aback and asks why the wealthy woman isn't more put out about it, after all, a grand necklace like that must have cost a fortune. The wealthy woman says she would never spend so much money on a real pearl necklace, beware the eyes of thieves and evildoers, and tells the maid the original necklace was paste - a fake.

All that toil and labor to replace something that wasn't what it was thought to be.

In my previous post, losing a secret decoder ring given as an expression of love would be more heartbreaking than losing a diamond worth tens of thousands of dollars. Even priceless perhaps.

Can't put a price on meaning, can we?

*(the story is something like that but I think you get the meaning.)

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!