[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What's your thoughts on this? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What's your thoughts on this?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
updog
General of the Army

Re: What's your thoughts on this?

Postby updog » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:31 am

A writer doesn't have to be experiencing the emotion at the moment they write about it. I've been in love, I've experienced great loss, grief so strong it brought me to my knees, and even violent anger to where I was tempted to put a fist through someone's face (mostly when visiting these forums). I can write about those emotions whenever I need to because I remember what it feels like to be living in that moment. And of course we use our life experiences in the stories we tell, but that doesn't mean we have to have lived the exact situations we write about. I don't have to be attacked by wolves to know what fear feels like. I've been a woman waiting alone in a parking lot with a pack of men yanking the door handles and beating the windows of my car, trying to break in--I know fear. I've never trained a dragon, but if you met my horse you'd know what I base the dragon-training scenes in my stories on. Dragons are just horses intensified. You draw on what you know.

And it's true we can never truly know how someone else feels, but we know how *we* feel, and we have our imaginations. That's where story comes from, imho.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:46 pm

The job of a writer is not to feel, but to make other people feel. I'm pretty sure there are psychopaths who have been successful writers.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:34 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:49 am

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:03 am

[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:29 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Narcissists usually are particularly skilled in manipulating the emotions of other people while faking their own emotions.

Previous

Return to Conversation question