[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Time Spent before Revising : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Time Spent before Revising

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Catwriter
Private E-1

Time Spent before Revising

Postby Catwriter » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Hello! I recently finished writing the first draft of my first novel. How long is a good time to wait before revising? I was thinking maybe six weeks. Thanks for the help!

pls
Site Admin

Re: Time Spent before Revising

Postby pls » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Two to four weeks is good for me. Usually I'll be writing something else (stories, novelette), so it depends on when I finish those.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:28 am

I never take time off from editing. Unless you wrote the novel in one day, what you wrote in the beginning is many weeks, months, from when you wrote the last word. I see the errors not because of time away but from multiple revisions. I know some very big authors that go over their novels 10, 20, 30 plus times. That's page one to the end, over and over again.

donsloan
Private E-1

Postby donsloan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:53 am

I recently took a good look at my first novel, The Sisters, by turning the Word doc into a .mobi (Kindle) digital file, which I then attached to an email and sent to myself. I then saved the file on my Kindle and was able to read and highlight typos (there were an embarrassing number of them), areas I wanted to improve on, based on reviews (I published it on Amazon a year ago), and just generally had a good time re-reading and (hopefully) improving the work. I just uploaded the revised file and have sent out new requests for reviews. I am planning to go through the same process with my second book, The DeathBorn, over the next few weeks. I find this process of reading (in larger type) the words I composed on my PC a better way to "get in the flow" of the book, so I can more effectively make needed improvements. The highlighting function inherent in the .mobi file allows me to write whole new passages on my Kindle keyboard. I then go into the PC and page through the Kindle file, making the needed corrections in the manuscript. If you'd like to try this method of reviewing your work, here's a link to a free site that converts Word to .mobi files. Hope it's helpful.

http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi
Don Sloan
Novel: The Sisters: A Mystery of Good and Evil, Horror and Suspense
http://amzn.to/1SuRzdN
Just Free And Bargain Books
https://justfreeandbargainbooks.wordpre ... bmissions/

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:03 am

Oh. I downloaded "The Sisters" from Kindle Unlimited a couple of weeks ago, Don, but I haven't got round to reading it yet, and it will probably be at least another two weeks before I do. Is it worth my while reading it at all if you are going to make a lot of changes?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

donsloan
Private E-1

Postby donsloan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:30 pm

No, it would be best if you read the updated version. Send a quick note to me at (no e-mail addresses, please - use WD's PM system) and I'll furnish a .mobi (Kindle) file or a PDF. Same goes for anyone else who wants to review it. Thanks. Don
Don Sloan

donsloan
Private E-1

Postby donsloan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:34 pm

I just noticed you said you downloaded a copy from KU. The revised edition is now posted on Amazon, so it probably would be quicker if you just download another copy from KU.
Don Sloan

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:56 pm

I also believe you should print out your novel and read it. I always find things on a printed copy versus computer screen.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Next

Return to FAQs