[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What's your thoughts on this? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What's your thoughts on this?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
roda havet
Captain

What's your thoughts on this?

Postby roda havet » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:47 am

When writing poetry does one always have to be in the mood of which the poem is written? Does it really have to mean that it's the way you are feeling then or have ever felt? Can it not simply be the way you seen someone else feeling or how you think someone might feel about something? I'm asking these question because I have been often told what I write is how I'm feeling and that is not really true. I have written some of my piece from point of view of someone else. Any and all thoughts on this topic would be great. Thank you. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

updog
General of the Army

Re: What's your thoughts on this?

Postby updog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:34 am

My brother is a songwriter, and he says every time he plays a new song his wife wants to know who he's singing about. lol. But nah, I think you're good. People who don't write don't really understand the process, or at least that's the impression I get. They don't understand that half the fun of creating new worlds and situations is that we get to experience life from outside ourselves, through other viewpoints. I get in trouble this way with my mother though. I had wonderful parents; seriously couldn't have asked for better, but I often write characters who have horrible parents, and I think this upsets my mom. She thinks people will assume I'm writing about my own situation, or that maybe I actually feel that way about her, but it's the complete opposite of that. I lived one way, one life, but I saw many other ways that fascinated or haunted me, and I want to explore those realities too. I write from many different angles, whether it is something I actually experienced or something I can only imagine, if it intrigues me, I write about it. I guess I'm just looking for the truth, wherever and however I can find it. I would think that would be even more important when writing poetry.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:37 am

A skillful writer creates moods. S/he doesn't have to be in a certain mood to create one.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:42 am

Yeah, some things I write and have my husband look at, he'll ask me if I'm depressed, sad, and things like that. I try to tell him I'm not always writing from my point of view. I'll listen to my favorite singer and start writing most of the time (he tends to inspire my writing). Or I'll be out in public and see how people are with each other, then I get an idea. Sometimes it's just the way I see one person feeling and I go with that. It all really depends.
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:51 pm

I think it's incredibly difficult to get a mood, or any feeling, down in writing accurately, if you have never experienced that mood. It may be impossible. This does not mean you have to be experiencing the mood at the time, though it seems like most poems are written just this way.

I also don't think reading a poem is going to do much good, unless you can relate to whatever mood the poem is trying to convey. If you have never been sad, you can't read a poem, and then say, "So that's how sadness feels." The best you can do is read a poem and say, "So that's what sadness makes some people do."

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:01 am

I'm beginning to think that other than the obvious English requirements, the so-called rules are people's opinions of shoulds and shouldn'ts. Many stories have been written from those who haven't experienced what they write about and I feel that as long as you explore the feeling and are as truthful as you can be with what you know about it and any research you do, you should be more than capable to write about it.

btw, I feel the same as Paul and updog.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:42 am

Thank you everyone. All of you have given some insightful thoughts on this matter. In the past I have written about things that I look back at now realizing there was no way I could truly understand the topic. Although now some of those topics I can understand a little better now that I'm older. But I wrote about some topics by observing people and things around me. Though some of my writing was written based on my own feelings. :)

westwesterm
Private E-1

Postby westwesterm » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:56 am

I don't think a writer's mood is that important. I guess you simply need to be in the 'writing' mood to create something good. You can be sad and write about happy couples holding hands. Your task as a writer is to create the right mood for your readers that's all.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:58 am

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:04 am

it can be how you see someone else is feeling. :)

One can write about the above statement, but one can never REALLY feel (see) what the person is truly feeling. It makes it easier to write if one has had similar experiences, but it would take the other "person" to write down his/her exact feelings.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Next

Return to Conversation question