[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Whats the difference between Mystery/Crime and Thrillers? : Critique Guidelines • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Whats the difference between Mystery/Crime and Thrillers?

Give a critique/ Get a critique. You must be a registered forum member to view and post on the Critique forums. Read Critique Guidelines before posting or critiquing.
Triptych
Private E-1

Whats the difference between Mystery/Crime and Thrillers?

Postby Triptych » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:06 am

I just noticed that there are two categories with Mystery/Crime in one and Thriller/Suspense in the other. What's the difference between the two? :?:

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Whats the difference between Mystery/Crime and Thrillers

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Triptych
Private E-1

Postby Triptych » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:55 am

MrBrooks
Private E-1

Postby MrBrooks » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:55 am

I think that's a very mature view on Crime fiction. I have been learning a little about labelling theory. Crime fiction only needs to center on the problem of criminal activities. I talk to this with my girlfriend as she's studying Criminology. I'd like to know how crime is conceived by other writers.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Most crime novels today fall under thriller (i.e. Karin Slaughter, Patricia Cornwell, or John Sanford). Other crime novels from an author like David Putnam are procedural novels and focus on everything it takes to solve the crime but doesn't necessarily have the suspense of a thriller.

Researching crimes can be tedious and boring. Novels and TV shows make it appear a lot more fun than it actually is. I have a good relationship with someone from my state's OCME. He runs the field and lab areas. You can see his passion but you can also see how long a crime takes to solve. Testing can take weeks, even months.

Return to Critique Guidelines