[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Question about using a name of a real person in my novel. : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Question about using a name of a real person in my novel.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
roda havet
Captain

Question about using a name of a real person in my novel.

Postby roda havet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 am

I know that I've asked before about using a quote or song title in my novel but I have another question similar to that. If I wanted to state in my novel that my character was listening to music and decided to say who it was, do you need permission to use their real name in your novel or do I need to change the name to a fake one? And if it is okay to use the singers name can you put the name of the song with it or do you need permission for that? :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: Question about using a name of a real person in my novel

Postby pls » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:38 am

You can use real names, as long as you don't defame the person, and song titles without permission. Stay away from song lyrics, however.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:41 am

I just want to use it as a reference to what she is doing which is listening to her favorite music artist and was going to put who it was and the song title itself. When I created this character I used some of the things about myself to help create her and love for music is one of those traits a wanted to add. Instead of her just sitting around all the time she can listen to her favorite music that might help me a little more when I try to create my showing scenes better, it may give me more to go on. I sure I can think of something to make a showing scene when it comes to that. It would be a lot better than some of what I've got. Thanks to the book I finished reading I believe I've got my spark completely back. It gave me some ideas on how to change some things. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:27 pm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:26 pm

My goal is to only use this particular singer in my book because they are one of my favorites. And I thought instead of having my character wondering around in one part I would have her listening to her favorite music instead. I'm still deciding exactly what I want to do. I thought it might be nice to add the part about music to my character since music has played a big role in my writing. I have found music has a calming effect. :)

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:09 pm

I agree with you Pls out-and-out attacks about someone isn't something I would want to read either. Plus it is not my place to use a real person and put bad things about them in a book that is not true. And even if this singer may or may not have faults it's not my place to point them out.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:51 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:29 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:35 pm