[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Cookie cutter Romance question. : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Cookie cutter Romance question.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
CatiK
Private E-1

Cookie cutter Romance question.

Postby CatiK » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:37 pm

Does a romance novel/story have to be cookie cutter style. Girl meets Boy, Girl likes boy, conflict, Girl and boy get together. I mean can the Boy and Girl get together before the end of the story? Would that even be interesting? In my head it plays out well just do not know how interesting it would be, it not being the normal romance layout? i have the ending in mind but it could end there OR I could continue it. Just curious if I need to push the timing further ahead to where they arent official until the end. I hope I make sense...it sounded good in my head.

roda havet
Captain

Re: Cookie cutter Romance question.

Postby roda havet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:06 am

This is my opinion but I thank it is up to who is writing the story and how you want it to play out. You can always try to put them together and add more to the story to see how it works out. The novel I'm writing the girl and boy get together earlier than most would but it's not exactly a romance novel either. My novel is just more of a fiction than anything, to be honest it seems each chapter keeps going it a little bit of a different direction though it all fits together. So I say it is really up to you on what direction you go with your novel. I hope this helps. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 am

Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl is difficult to get away from, but it can be done. The real question is why do it? There are many genres where you can write whatever kind of story you like. Category romance is pretty strict in what it wants, and even needs an HEA ending. Other types of romance are a little looser, but not much.

But switch genres, write love stories, or life stories, and you get away from most of these requirements.

I think it works best if you know which genre you're writing for before you start writing. Tropes and other requirements usually do matter, so look for a genre that most fits your needs, read several books in that genre, and then write accordingly.

But, yes, it can be done, if there's enough conflict to keep the story interesting.

CatiK
Private E-1

Postby CatiK » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Thank you both so much. I will look into different genres to see if maybe my ideas would fit into others. I read all of the time so I have that covered. I love romance novels but I more like the quirky ones with more story than the ones where the story is only the main characters attempting to get together.

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:22 pm

With the exception of Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, and others of that ilk, I am not a fan of the romance genre. I especially despise what you accurately called "cookie-cutter" modern romance. That said, one of my favorite books of all time is most definitely romantic—The World I Made for Her by Thomas Moran. There's nothing "cookie-cutter" about it—no HEA—but it's a beautiful love story nonetheless. I'd advise what others have—read the genre—but I'd add, if you don't want to "play by the rules", read those books that have broken the rules successfully. As James said—look for "love stories" not category romance.

I've actually toyed with the idea of a novel made up entirely of texts—like Jane Austen's Lady Susan for the modern age. I think it could be done—just probably not by me (if the number of times I've started and stopped such projects is any indication;).

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:50 pm

I think it's easy to write beyond the point where the couple gets together "for ever". Just have some external conflict that threatens to tear them apart.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:59 am

Basically, if there is no HEA, it is not a romance, it's a love story, and these are tremendously different things in the world of publishing, and with the great majority of readers. "Romance" means "HEA". "Love story" most often means the opposite.

Happily Ever After means just what it says. You can't cheat on it, you can leave an external conflict hanging, and you can't do anything to make readers think the HEA may not be permanent.

If you want to do any of this, write a love story, not a romance. But it won't be bought for a romance line.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:19 am

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Terry, I got curious and looked up The Notebook, it stated that it was a drama film/romance. Though I never watched it myself it seems some people say it was a love story when you read about although some say it wasn't a good. I'm guessing they say it's a good love story due to the ending being sad. But I wouldn't personally know about it only what I read because I usually read about things before I watch them, well that is when I decide to watch a movie. I like tv but here lately I would rather read instead or write. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:51 pm

I think the new term is HFN - - Happily for now.

Next

Return to FAQs