[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Your Personal Top Ten... : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your Personal Top Ten...

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
CantSkate
Private E-1

Re: Your Personal Top Ten...

Postby CantSkate » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:03 am

Its always an interesting exercise trying to get a top ten.

In no particular order my top ten (this week)

1. Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
2. Canticle for Liebowitz - Walter Miller
3. The Devils (Demons) - Fyodor Dostoevsky
4. To Say Nothing of the Dog - Connie Willis
5. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein
6. Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
7. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
8. The Way Station - Clifford Simak
9. The Commentaries - Julius Caesar
10. Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:30 am

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is fantastic. I was surprised.

OliverRaw
Private E-1

Postby OliverRaw » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:19 am

Well, my top ten are:
1. Victor Hugo - "Les Misérables";
2. Jonathan Swift - "Gulliver's Travels";
3. Franz Kafka - "The Metamorphosis";
4. Friedrich Nietzsche - "Thus Spoke Zarathustra";
5. Erich Maria Remarque - "Three Comrades";
6. Victor Hugo - "The Man Who Laughs";
7. Jonathan Swift - "A Modest Proposal";
8. Sophocle - "Oedipus the King";
9. J. D. Salinger - "The Catcher in the Rye";
10. Harper Lee - "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Vangartist
Private E-1

Postby Vangartist » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:47 pm

1. Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott--History + Mystery + Alchemy = Magic
2. Zoo by James Patterson--SO much more terrifying, and logically plausible, than Planet of the Apes
3. The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind--The Sword of Truth being my absolute favorite series ever, this one left an impression, as well as rekindled my passion for civil freedom and the quest for truth.
4. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay--Epically devastating. Had me grasping for every last strand of hope. Kudos for clever etymology.
5. A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn--The only sensible record of our peoples' history. My home school history textbook!
6. Liv, Forever by Amy Talkington--A gold mine for art history buffs
7. Pet Sematary by Stephen King--Sinister. Had me wanting to burn the pages, and cleanse the evil engraved into my brain. Note: I've read all of his books; this was the worst.
8. The Law of Nines by Terry Goodkind--the only book I have ever truly hated. Mr. Goodkind decided to publish this without disclosing its direct connection to Sword of Truth...I accidentally learned the fate of my favorite heroes and the very world they live in...without even finishing the aforementioned series. Ever heard of a SPOILER ALERT Goodkind????
9. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane--Mindf*** I loved it
10. A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley--I fully believe everyone should read this. Not everyone has a taste for his style, but it is an important message nonetheless.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist."
Picasso

Galgatha
Private E-1

Postby Galgatha » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:55 am

top ten.....huh....i guess these would be my favorite books
1) Lord of the Rings- Fellowship of the Ring
2) Lord of the Rings- Return of the King
3) Minds of Billy Milligan
4) The Hobbit
5) Faerie Wars
6) The Silmarillian
7) Lord of the Rings- Two Towers

I think thats it for now...thats only 7 i know but having trouble with the rest.

Tom Fitch
Private E-1

Postby Tom Fitch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:46 pm

1. The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie
2. The Bonfire of the Vanities - Tom Wolfe
3. Telemachus in the Village - Marnix Gijsen
4. The First Law Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie
5. High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
6. Zeitoun - Dave Eggers
7. Villa des Roses - Willem Elschot
8. New Deps - Gerard Walschap
9. A dogcrazy time - Paul Snoek
10. The Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Tom
Visit : the quest of a life time. And like us on .

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Top Tens. Always a popular thread. Go on then, I'll have a go. In no order...

1 -- The Outsider, Albert Camus.

2 -- Less Than Zero, Bret Easton Ellis.

3 -- Betty Blue, Philippe Djian.

4 -- 1984, George Orwell.

5 -- Atomised, Michel Houellebecq.

6 -- Joe Gould's Secret, Joseph Mitchell.

7 -- Slaughterhouse 5, Kurt Vonnegut.

8 -- The Motel Life, Willy Vlautin.

9 -- The fudge Up, Arthur Nersesian.

10 -- Last Exit To Brooklyn, Hubert Selby Jnr.
Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Zorg
Private E-1

Postby Zorg » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:01 pm

My Top Tens have a tendency to fluctuate from time to time, so this is in no way definitive, but it is in no particular order:

The Master and Margarita - Bulgakov
The Portable Jack Kerouac
Abasalom, Absalom! - Faulkner
The Moor's Last Sigh - Rushdie
The Divine Comedy - Dante
The Sirens of Titan - Vonnegut, Jr.
The Shipping News - Proulx
Time's Arrow - Amis
Wuthering Heights - Bronte
The Border Trilogy - McCarthy
Wildcat... wild... cat... pow... wildcat...

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:36 am

These are my favorite top tens books I've read in the past year or so. They are in mo particular. :)

The Raven By Edgar Allen Poe
The Terrifying Tales By Edgar Allen Poe My favorite short story from this book is: The Masque of Red Death
Wrapped Around Your Heart By Nancy Naigle and Tracy March
Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle Book 1) By Rachel A. Marks
Extinction Horizon (book 1, The Extinction Cycle series) By Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Extinction Edge (book 2, The Extinction Cycle series) By Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Extinction Age (book 3, The Extinction Cycle series) By Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Extinction Evolution (book 4, The Extinction Cycle series) By Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Extinction End (book 5, The Extinction Cycle series) By Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Darkness Fair (The Dark Cycle Book 1) By Rachel A. Marks
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

lifeontherun
Private First Class

Postby lifeontherun » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:06 pm

1. The Metamorphose of Ovid, translated by Allen Mandelbaum
2. The Golden Bough by Sir James George Frazer
3.The Hero With A Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell
4. Primitive Mythology, Joseph Campbell
5. OCCIDENTAL MYTHOLOGY, Joseph Campbell
6.Oriental Mythology, Joseph Campbell
7.Creative Mythology, Joseph Campbell
8.the thought of the heart and the soul of the world, James Hillman