[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Any tips for Un-dialogue-ing? : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Any tips for Un-dialogue-ing?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
CatiK
Private E-1

Any tips for Un-dialogue-ing?

Postby CatiK » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Yeah I know that's not a word. I had no clue what word to use there.

My question is, does anyone have any tips on not using so much dialogue? or is dialogue ok? I love to talk so I guess that why I can only seem to think dialogue is the only way to get the point across. One of my chapters, I was toying with the idea of it mostly being texts/chats between characters at different points of the day. With some story in between. If I do that, I feel I need to take some dialogue out in other places because I don't want it to be all dialogue with no substance. :) thanks ahead of time if you understand what Im trying to get at!

onceuponwednesday
Major

Re: Any tips for Un-dialogue-ing?

Postby onceuponwednesday » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:18 pm

Dialog is fine, there's nothing wrong with having a story being all dialog. Plays and screenplays tend to just be dialog with brief desciptions of scenery and action. But like everything else it has to be done well, so if you know of a book that you like that uses a lot of dialog then use that as an example of how to do it. Work out what makes it work. Personally I don't know of a lot of novels that use mostly dialog, so it's probably hard to do right.
The Rule of Three

CatiK
Private E-1

Postby CatiK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Thanks!!!!

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:25 pm

You can always summarize parts of the dialogue:
"No."
"Yes."
We continued to state our unwillingness to agree for another twenty-three minutes, dredging up every perceived insult during our marriage. Finally I realized that being happy was more important than being right."
"OK, we can switch to decaf."
I'd show her. I'll stop in at Walgreens for a box No-Doze on my way to work.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:29 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 am

Dialogue is fine, and usually, though not always, necessary. It depends on the story you're writing.

The danger is turning your characters into floating heads, and telling things that should be shown. I don't have any tips and tricks, other than reading good stories, and doing likewise.

CatiK
Private E-1

Postby CatiK » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Actually you just helped alot. Talking about the danger of turning them into floating heads gave me an awful visual! LOL Thank you so much. I can really see what you were saying there and I think it will really help me out. Im going to work on weeding out the unneeded dialogue.

Return to FAQs