How does one juggle writing two books at the same time?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
roda havet
Captain

How does one juggle writing two books at the same time?

Postby roda havet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:46 pm

I'm having so much trouble right now keeping focused. :? Due to the fact that I'm writing one book and have ideas for another book that keeps popping up in my mind at the same time. How does one juggle writing two books at the same time without sacrificing the first book you started? I'm still working hard on "Ann Of Korppi" but I keep hitting road blocks here and there plus I have ideas for another book I'm trying to writing down so I can remember what they are. My road blocks for "Ann Of Korppi" is a little extra research I've got to do but it's coming along okay I guess. I really need some advice on how I can keep on top of things. Thanks in advance. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: How does one juggle writing two books at the same time?

Postby pls » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:17 pm

It's almost impossible to write two books at the same time, but you can write sequentially IF you turn off all distractions, including the ones that pop up in your head.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Yeah I thought it might be hard to do. So I trying to only write the one but I did put the notes for the other on paper today. Hoping that might keep my mind clear to finish the first one. Thank you. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:48 am

as you work on your current ms, you could keep a document open on the desktop titled 'new book ideas' so you can quickly jot down whatever comes to you without totally breaking the rhythm of whatever you're doing on the first book...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:43 am

Thank you Mammamaia. I think that it is a great idea. I'll try and see if that helps. :)

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:51 am

After trying your suggestion it has made it a lot easier for me to concentrate. Again thank you so much. Maybe I'll get somewhere now with my book. It was bothering me that I couldn't seem to concentrate but now I believe I can do it. :)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:19 pm

I sometimes have to work on three novels and half a dozen short stories or articles in the same week, but this is seldom by choice. Like most pro writers in this situation, it usually happens because I'll be humming along on one project for an editor, and a different editor wants something right now. Then my agent finds me an unexpected project that has to be finished yesterday, and then on and on.

Sometimes I can just finish one, start and finish another, and so on, but sometimes conflicting deadlines make this impossible. And all too often, I say yes when I should say no.

Anyway, if you don't have deadlines, I strongly suggest finishing what you're working on now. We all have new, exciting ideas that try to pull us away from the current project, but the ideas are usually only new and exciting until you start working on them. Then you get so far into the new book, and yet another new, exciting idea pops into your head. Ideas are all meaningless. They're overpriced at a dime a thousand.

What matters is finishing whatever you're working on right now. If you have a solid history of finishing what you start, you can sometimes jump from project to project. Otherwise, it's often a deathtrap.

Follow Heinlein's Rules to the letter, and chances are very high that you'll have at least some degree of success. Fail to follow any of them, and you probably won't. http://www.sfwriter.com/ow05.htm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:48 pm

James, thank you very much. As always you are very insightful and helpful with your response. And I am someone who always likes to finish what I start so that will not be a problem. Plus I don't have any deadlines to meet so I'm go there, the only deadline I have is my own. I really want to finish my book by the end of the year which it should be done by then hopefully with edits and all. :)

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:28 am

I just wanted to pop in and thank you very much to you all. All the advice that everyone has given me here has helped me clear my mind and get back on track so I can work hard on "Ann Of Korppi". Plus I was listen to one of my favorite music artist as well and heard something that give me some inspiration & motivation. I guess sometimes sitting back for a moment and really taking a look at the things we listen to can sometimes help us. :)

Return to FAQs