[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Crime Story outline? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Crime Story outline?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
harper83
Private E-1

Crime Story outline?

Postby harper83 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi,
I am normally a pantser. I want to outline this crime story idea I have. How do you outline a crime story?

roda havet
Captain

Re: Crime Story outline?

Postby roda havet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:36 pm

I don't know much about doing a crime story. But I don't usually use an outline although I do have a story idea that I'll have to try and use one. But I'm still working on my other novel I'm trying to only work on one novel at a time. Though I found myself wanting to go on and start the next one. My mind seems to keep wondering all over the place with my stories. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

harper83
Private E-1

Postby harper83 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Yeah I have that problem sometimes. I don't normally outline but few times i have did workout. I feel with a crime story i'm going to need to be able to make sure i get all the clues and facts in.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Yeah on a story I want to write next there is a lot of info to consider. So on it I'll have to use more of an outline than I did before. The novel I'm working on now I didn't really get all my facts together before I started it. Plus I have changed a few things since I started that requires a little more research than expected. But I guess it will all work okay in the end as long as I keep working hard on it. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

harper83
Private E-1

Postby harper83 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Yeah when there alot of info and its a long story. I think outlines are a good thing. I use a small outline for one ebook i do have out. But that was rare for me to do. But I feel it will be better for me to learn to outline

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm trying to learn how to do somewhat of an outline on my own. I have ideas for a novel that am not sure if I should start on yet or not so I'm trying to put the ideas in an outline for now. I trying to wait because I'm not sure about writing two novels at the same time so I'm trying to finish the first one than work on the next.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:21 pm

I really don't do outlines - I'm pretty much a pantser - but I have been known to do chapter-by-chapter summaries to help me keep things straight.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

harper83
Private E-1

Postby harper83 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:26 pm

I think writing two novels at the same time is going to be hard. Not saying it can't be done but I wouldn't try it. If you do good luck Roda.

Pls when you say you do a chapter summaries is that just what you plan to have in the chapter? Like John walks in to bar, meets Anna, has drink, finds out she a hired killer there to kill him. Something like that?

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

harper83
Private E-1

Postby harper83 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 pm

hmm, I don't think I have ever tried to summaries chapter before. I'm going to give it a try. I like writing as a pantser because its fun and exciting to find out what is going to happen. But about halfway in I start to wonder and thing stop going to gather and making sense. I guess I'm still trying to find out the best way I write.

Next

Return to Conversation question