[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Can you use real state and country names with fake towns? : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Can you use real state and country names with fake towns?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
roda havet
Captain

Can you use real state and country names with fake towns?

Postby roda havet » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:18 am

I was going over a part of my novel than noticed that I used a real state and country names. But the town name I used is a fake name. My novel is based in a generic place in the state and no particular place in the country. I guess I'm trying to ask is it okay to do that, use real state and country names but use fake towns and cities? Should I try to use fake state and country names as well? I never realized that is what I had did until I got to that part while I'm doing my rewrite. Any advice would be great. :D
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: Can you use real state and country names with fake towns

Postby pls » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:35 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:37 am

The country name is used in reference to tell where some of the people are from and to tell where a place started. I just wanted to make sure it was okay to do that before I continue with my rewrite.
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:23 am

Of course you can. As a writer you can invent whole new worlds and laws of physics. A town name is nothing compared.
The Rule of Three

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 am

Thank you both I feel a lot better about doing that now. I can continue with my novel now without worry about any of that. :)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:15 pm

You can use a fake town, and you can even use a fake county within a state as Faulkner did with his Yoknapatawpha County tales. This is a good way to set a fake town in a state without having to explain exactly where it is in relation to other towns. If you're setting the tale in the real world, though, you have to explain something about where the town/county, or even the fake country, actually is because this affects everything about the story, ranging from the weather, to how people dress, travel, etc.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:36 pm

I even used the same name for my fake town in several of my works. It's based on all the towns I've lived in while in Kansas - about a half-dozen or so. Oh, and you can use real town names, too, but if you get too specific, such as naming a certain street corner, you'd better be well-acquainted with that area, as someone will live nearby and question your description.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm using Sweden because that is where I put some of the people from. Plus the places in Korppi Town that are owned by the vampires have Swedish names mainly because it gives it a more dramatic feel in my opinion. One of the is a club named "Projekt Skrack" meaning "Project Horror" and the other is a lab named "Roda havet" meaning "Red Sea". With that being said should I keep the country as Sweden or change the name of my country? I can change the state name to anything it does matter if I leave it as is. But I can change it if it would be better to do. :)

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:30 pm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:34 pm

I only mention that there are some people from Sweden and that one of them go back for a little while so that he can be taken out of the picture long enough to make part of the story in Korppi which is in the US. Other than that I don't go into detail about it. I only go into detail on Korppi Town. The only other place I go into detail about is a man made lake in Korppi called Shambal Lake where the City Of Shambala is located. I created it to be an underwater city.

Next

Return to FAQs