[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Question about the era of which a story takes place. : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Question about the era of which a story takes place.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Question about the era of which a story takes place.

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:58 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:04 pm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:25 pm

James,
Thanks for correcting the phone thing I was thinking they called it a box phone but I was very little when I first seen. Although I guess the reason I thought is was called a box phone is the shape it was and hearing people call it a box. When it comes to the novel I'm writing the town and other places are all fictional none of them really exist. But I'm thinking of writing another novel that is about a how a person grew up and became who they are. I guess if I really need historical facts I could ask my husband he knows a lot about history and the dates things have happened in history. I may just base it in this era instead though to make it easier for me. Thank you for your advice it really helped James. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:08 pm

In Kansas, we simply called phones in cars "mobile phones". Those that were carried around were "bag phones", although now I can't ever remember seeing a bag phone in. I guess I didn't hang around the important people who carried them.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:40 pm

Yeah I remember seeing those growing up but it was near the end of there time. And that was when pagers were becoming popular for kids to carry although I never had one.
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:07 am

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:18 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:27 am

I had to use a pay phone to call up that special girl to get a date with her to get some privacy. This was in the big town, where they had dial phones - out in the country, where I lived, I had to contend with a half-dozen or more people on the party line. Privacy on party lines was not an issue, as there was none - some of the other members used the phone as others used radio or TV. We could tell when they were on as the volume dropped dramatically.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:16 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs