[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Question about the era of which a story takes place. : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Question about the era of which a story takes place.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
roda havet
Captain

Question about the era of which a story takes place.

Postby roda havet » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:23 pm

I have a question about the era of which the story takes place. Is it easier for those to write a story based in the time that they grew up in compared to an era that is before their time?
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

DrG2
Colonel

Re: Question about the era of which a story takes place.

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:30 pm

Obviously it is easier to write about what you have experienced.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:41 pm

What DrG2 said.

Something that I always found interesting is that until recently, I'm not sure how recent, people only bathed once or twice a month. Even further back, only on special occasions. I remember my dad telling me, he's in his late 70's, that where he was from, it was a weekly ritual that ever Saturday night they would get cleaned up so that they were presentable for church the next morning.

I think it's little tidbits like that you might not know if you aren't from that era. Luckily we have google. :)

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:25 pm

I think I bathed weekly until I went to junior high and hormones affected my behavior.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:56 am

[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:39 am

I think you can do it. You have plenty of people from that era you can talk to and find out all the tidbits during the time. A lot easier than say the 1700s. Now it's taking from stuff you read and research instead of eye witnesses.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:43 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:50 am

I'm still working on "Ann Of Korppi" on it is based on the era we live in now. But while I was working on it one day listen to my favorite music I got an idea that I just can't get out of my mind. So I have been making notes from time to time on it and wondering if it should be someone born in the 60's or just stick with my age group. It has to do with the person telling the story of there life and how they became who they are.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:16 am

Keep in mind the Somerset Maugham edit: "Write what you know". Research will expand what you know. You can write about an era you didn't live through, but be careful when you include artifacts from that era - for example, pagers, not cell phones, were dominant in use during the early '90's.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:45 am

Yeah, I was born in the early 80's and remember seeing on tv growing up what I believe was called the box phone and the car phones. Which car phones could only be used in the car and most were just for emergencies. But now we have cell phones and heck house phones where you can call across the world. It's amazing how things change. Use to when someone was out somewhere they had to call a person using a pay phone. Oh, there was a time where pagers were a big thing too can't forget those. I may just stick to exactly what I know but if I do go the other route I have a lot of resources at hand. I'm not sure when I'll truly start writing it since I'm still working hard on the other novel. It's just I have so many ideas going through my mind at one time I figured it was best to start writing them down.

Next

Return to FAQs