[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self doubt that's leading to self destruction : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self doubt that's leading to self destruction

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
mmlindelo
Private E-1

Re: Self doubt that's leading to self destruction

Postby mmlindelo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:06 pm

PLS, thank you so much. It looks like I need to buy loads of YA books and the latest edition of Grammar for Dummies (and hot chocolate). Those sentences have been changed and they sound much better than the original ones. You've been very helpful and I can't express the appreciation via text.

Terry, that sentence means a lot. It definitely adjusted my confidence. Thank you.

OnceUpon, wow and thank you for the feedback. It was so insightful.
It's funny because I always say "show and don't tell", but it looks like I need to apply my own advice.

The lack of tension is noted. The sentence doesn't sound so great anymore. "Excruciating discomfort" is also quite awful, that needs to be chopped and tossed out.

I've basically painted a room and I want the owners to tell me if they like the paint colour, before I add the furniture (beta reader analogy). A well written story contributes to the project, but I'm just worried about editing a manuscript that's just not interesting. Editing is dreadful, intellectually and emotionally. It's like remembering your embarrassing moments all at once.

The manuscript is currently shelved, until my beta readers are done reading, or don't want to continue with the manuscript.

I always appreciate everyone's advice, unless there's malicious intent, which I've never encountered.
One cannot expect to improve their work if they live in a bubble of self admiration. I always ask people to tell me what they hated and how it can be improved. Compliments motivate us, and criticism fosters our growth.

With that, I'd like to thank everyone for their help and support. This is an amazing community and I feel like I'm with my family when I come here.

PS: I'll have to wait another day to reply. Thank you, Korean spammers.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mmlindelo
Private E-1

Postby mmlindelo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:33 am

Thank you.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:12 am

The Rule of Three

mmlindelo
Private E-1

Postby mmlindelo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:35 pm

I love the story and all the characters, but sometimes our opinions aren't a consensus amongst others (heartbreaker).
Yes, I'm definitely one of those writers that NEED a compelling plot to evoke interest.

Do you have any published work? I've always wanted to sit down with an author and ask questions about their work.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:11 pm

mmlindelo
Private E-1

Postby mmlindelo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:54 am

Anyone who's active on this thread.

That's really impressive. Self publishing takes a lot of bravery, in my opinion. Do you have a title I could search for? It would be much appreciated.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:14 am

Catwriter
Private E-1

Postby Catwriter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Previous

Return to FAQs