[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self doubt that's leading to self destruction : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self doubt that's leading to self destruction

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
mmlindelo
Private E-1

Self doubt that's leading to self destruction

Postby mmlindelo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:13 pm

I felt a sense of relief once I'd "re-typed" the last word of my manuscript.
I'd been editing since February. The story feels more organised, but now it appears that my word arrangement is quite off. Some sentences don't flow well enough for me to clap twice and say, "Wow, not bad."

My beta readers have been requested to judge the actual story and not the technical aspects, like grammar. I just think it's pointless fixing word arrangement when the story isn't great to begin with.

How does everyone else deal with this monster, this perfectionism beast that just won't quit chewing on my self-esteem. At this rate I'll be editing until I've gone bald or worse, dead.

Help...

pls
Site Admin

Re: Self doubt that's leading to self destruction

Postby pls » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Write the next story. Chalk this one up to a learning experience if you decide you can't "fix" what you think is wrong with it.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:38 am

is this a short story, or a novel?

before you dump it, you can send the first pages plus a brief summary of the plot to me and i'll let you know if it's worth continuing with, or not... if it is, i'll give you a detailed rundown on what you need to work on...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:40 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:40 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:51 pm

since i've done that for literally thousands of aspiring writers in the past 20 years, i probably would be, james, if i wasn't doing it for free!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

mmlindelo
Private E-1

Postby mmlindelo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Thank you, PLS. It's a bit hard to move on when there're sequels.

James, my grammar, punctuation and such is not the actual problem. I think I was just upset because my prose is simple. I grew up reading novels with a very poetic prose. I haven't accepted that I'm just not that kind of writer.

It's a YA novel. I've read a few of the recent bestsellers (same category) and they have simple proses too.

Here are sample sentences from my manuscript (The entire thing is not ready for a bigger audience) :

Sample 1: His gazed shifted slightly toward the grass. Its spotless green colour relaxed him, but the tranquillity vanished once he saw the ring-smith make his way toward the altar.

Sample 2: He felt the ring tighten around his finger. The excruciating discomfort lingered, but it had stopped accumulating.

Sample 3: "How long have you been doing this for?” she asked, looking from place to place. There were few people around, mostly adults. “You made it seem so easy.”
“What do you mean?” he asked, tightening his eyes. “Did you actually think you weren’t allowed to travel to a lower borough?”

Sample 4: The sky had darkened to a navy blue. The lamps glowed to rectify the darkness, but
some blinked like they were shining for their last time.

That's not enough to show you my writing style, but that's a typical sentence from the Novel.

Maia, I haven't gotten the courage to show everyone else, but my small circle of beta readers. I'm so sorry about this. Thanks for the gesture.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:31 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:28 am

I see nothing wrong with what you have posted. The sample is too small to make a determination of the overall writing though.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:50 pm

The Rule of Three

Next

Return to FAQs