[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Three Rules for Writing a Novel : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Three Rules for Writing a Novel

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Writing Skills
Private E-1

Three Rules for Writing a Novel

Postby Writing Skills » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Rule 1
What's Happening?

Rule 2
Where Am I?

Rule 3
Who Am I?

I don't write much fiction. Are these three rules sufficient?

roda havet
Captain

Re: Three Rules for Writing a Novel

Postby roda havet » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm not sure if I would sufficient but those are some good questions to sure to answer when writing a novel. But you also need to know how you want your plot to go. For myself I don't really use any true questions I just sit down and start writing but for some it helps to a structure. I hope that helps. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:35 am

The first rule should be "Seat butt in chair; access keyboard (or blank sheet of paper and your choice of writing instruments). You'd be surprised at how many people dither on just getting started or choosing a character's name or …
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:10 am

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:35 am

one rule: don't be boring.

westwesterm
Private E-1

Postby westwesterm » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:30 am

I guess, there's only one rule you should follow - keep it real and interesting. Nobody's going to believe in your story if you use some artificial phrases or make your characters too stereotypical

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 pm

deleted

ShortyMe
Private E-1

Postby ShortyMe » Sun May 08, 2016 6:47 pm

My own three rules for writing given all of life's "little" complications over the years: (1) read; (2) write; (3) repeat -the first two...lol

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Wed May 11, 2016 8:08 am

“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed May 11, 2016 9:45 am

Two of the most famous quotes for coming up with story ideas in the s/f genre: "What if?" and "If this goes on …". They can be used to generate a story idea before you navigate your butt to the appropriate chair.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Next

Return to Book Discussion