[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
FIRST PERSON : FAQs • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

FIRST PERSON

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: FIRST PERSON

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:57 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07 am

Proves my point that I enjoy reading fiction in either past or present, and first or third person … as long as a good story is being rolled out for me. I don't automatically reject a story because of its tense or person; I just read it, and if you hate present tense … well, time to take a get-over-it pill.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:54 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:28 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 pm

I recently read a war memoir which was curiously written in first person present tense although the action happened 25 years before it was published.

It did confirm one thing for me: present tense is great for scenes that are meant to be disjoint or confusing (as some of the firefights were).

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:50 am

Let's tell of our hatred of the present tense, and let's do so in the present tense.

Oh, wait.

Nevermind.

I'm just being a smart-ass.

PS

I notice that a lot of people use present tense when relaying true stories in a casual setting. (Hey, so I'm taking my girlfriend out for a night on the town, and whadduya know, the wife shows up! And she's got my brother with her...)

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:31 am

i agree with james on this and usually don't like having to read present tense fiction, even if the story is a good one, so i force myself to keep reading...

that said, i just finished a 'good read' purportedly 'by' james patterson, though actually and obviously not written by him, but by one of his franchisees ['ZOO'], in which the writer used present tense to great effect only in the parts where it signalled to the reader that someone was about to be attacked... it was a clever use of the tense switch and added to the suspense and horror aspects of the read, rather than distracting and detracting from it, as i find most use of present tense does for me...

but that was just one of the rare exceptions that proves the rule, imo...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:37 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 pm

Previous

Return to FAQs