[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Question about comic books. : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Question about comic books.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
roda havet
Captain

Question about comic books.

Postby roda havet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:21 am

I wondering how well does comic books do on the market today? I like reading some of them and with the way my novel is turning out I wondered if it might be better to make it into a comic instead. I know that I'll need an artist to help with the drawings and all but it might be worth it if the market is good. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance. :D
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Question about comic books.

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:31 am

The comic book market is great, but it's also horrible. All markets are this way. If you're wanting to make and self-publish a comic, it's a tough, tough road, if you want to make money. It's even tougher if you want a comic publisher to turn your novel into a comic. As a rule, only "bestselling" novels need apply.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:35 am

I wonder if roda is referring to graphic novels, which are a different market entirely from comic books?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:39 am

Okay, thank you. It's just the way it is turning out it seems like it may be better suited for a comic than a novel. I was thinking maybe a two volume comic. I got the idea from a comic book that I'm reading right now and really enjoying it. It's called "Day Men" and it is split into two volumes and it is a great read. But my novel is nothing like the comic although it could still be put into one I guess. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 am

From what I understand the book I'm reading now is a comic book or maybe I misunderstood the comic store clerk. But it is a great book to read and I think my novel might be better in this form.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:04 am

I looked and it is a comic that I'm reading.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:34 am

I think it's probably harder to break in as a comic book scriptwriter than it is as a novelist.

There is an opportunity to start online. Howard Tayler, who is one of the "Writing Excuses" podcasters, has his comic serial online. He also knows how to write, based on his comments on that podcast.

Neil Gaiman was first known for the Sandman graphic novels before becoming a novelist. I don't know how he got his graphic novel gig. You could probably do a search.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:49 am

And if you want a good artist to draw your story then you'll either have to have a good publisher already on board or pay them a large amount of money up front.

It's a huge amount of work to draw a comic and no one's going to do it for free.

If it's skinny and comes out episodically then it's a comic. If it's thick and tackles a whole storyline then it's a graphic novel. If it's Japanese then it's manga.
The Rule of Three

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:35 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:43 am

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I'm going to keep working on it as if it's a novel to see how it may turn out and then go from there. I'll research everything and see which one will fit it best. Again thank you all for the help. :mrgreen:

Next

Return to FAQs