[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Questions about poetry rules. : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Questions about poetry rules.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
roda havet
Captain

Questions about poetry rules.

Postby roda havet » Tue May 26, 2015 10:13 am

I know in all poetry all lines have to have some form of syllables to each. But can that rule be broken? And do you really have to follow any of the rules when writing poetry? Is it okay to just have your own style of writing to make it different and stand out plus to give it a touch of your own personality? :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: Questions about poetry rules.

Postby pls » Thu May 28, 2015 10:46 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu May 28, 2015 12:09 pm

The only poetry I know is the one about the man from Nantucket. :lol:

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri May 29, 2015 7:26 am

Thank you PLS. I have studied many different types of poems and the ones I write are more a free style but some still don't seem to think they are written properly. This is the reason I asked the questions I didn't know if you had to really follow all the rules when writing poetry and if you had to go by the books all the way? :mrgreen:

Terry, I like your comment that was funny. :lol:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 am

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 pm

I have read e. e. cummings before and enjoyed the poetry but I have never heard of Ezra Pound. I'll have to look that one up. Thank you for letting know about someone new that I can read their work. :D

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat May 30, 2015 2:46 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat May 30, 2015 2:53 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat May 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Roda, you might also seek out some of the small-press poetry journals (use Google or Writer's Digest Market to find them) and read some of their offerings in addition to reading dead poets' offerings. Many of them will be quality offerings - not just prose broken into short line lengths.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sat May 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Return to FAQs