[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
How Do You Know? : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How Do You Know?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
jenmoore30
Private E-1

How Do You Know?

Postby jenmoore30 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:53 pm

How do you know you're a writer?

It's been a secret dream of mine but while it's something I do intermittently, I have never had the guts to take the next step and call myself a writer. I have a fantastic job but there is a pulling on my arm from the child inside me that wants to hole myself up in a log cabin in the woods :geek: and pour all the crazy ideas in my head into my laptop. The adult in me says get a grip, concentrate on your current career and stop being so self indulgent.

I'd like to hear from others when they went from secret scribbles on the bus to work etc :? to calling themselves a writer. How did you know you were any good or does that matter if you love to do it? I've written two chapters of a novel and it's making me feel pretty queasy at this point. Would love to hear your stories/advice.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: How Do You Know?

Postby mammamaia » Fri May 22, 2015 9:36 am

i knew i was better than my classmates throughout my grade school and high school years, because i got top grades on all of my written assignments, won writing an essay competition, and was chosen to edit and write columns in the hs newspaper, for all three years... and, when i wrote letters to newspaper/magazine editors and corporate heads, to seek redress for this or that, i always got replies...

loving to do something does not, unfortunately, mean you're any good at it... i've been mentoring aspiring writers for over 30 years, been editing writing for more than 60, so can attest to that fact, having seen really gawdawful writings of folks who truly loved churning it out...

if you want to find out for sure, if you have the talent and skill it takes to be a good enough writer to succeed at it, you can send me your first chapter and i'll give you a detailed assessment of the work and your potential... and/or, if you're brave enough to do so publicly, you can post the first few paragraphs of your novel here, for all of the members to weigh in...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri May 22, 2015 12:15 pm

If you mean how to tell you're a good writer, one with enough talent to sell, to make people want to read your writing, there's only one way to know. You read everything, you write much, and you put your writing out in the marketplace.

I never wanted to be a writer, and was a high school dropout. I sat down and write a story, and it sold to the first magazine I sent it to, a national slick that paid a little more than my day job did in a month. I've been a writer since that check came in, thirty-six years ago. Other writers struggle for years without any success at all. None of us know. We all have to try it, and see what happens. If we knew, there would be no such thing as failure.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri May 22, 2015 1:46 pm

The Rule of Three

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 pm

I always wrote since Grade 3, (I think) but just never showed it to anyone. Then, when I started showing it around I got a lot of positive feedback. That's the long and the short of it.

Seriously though, these days--when you take a look around at the (putrid garbage) blockbusters that appear at the multiplex and the cheesy 'series books' that dominate the fiction market...heck, if any intelligent person with even a modicum of skill can't do better than this hog-trough? Certainly we can do better! The system is rigged so that utter rot, is what gets produced. So get in there, and take a whack at it.

After all: writing has got to be one of the cheapest hobbies around. So...why not? You can conceivably make money with writing, so if you have any kind of vocabulary, some free time in the evening, and even a faint shred of taste, why not? You can hardly do worse than the stuff out there which actually makes millions of dollars.
Blow up the bridge?!

Return to Take it Outside!