[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Would like to run an idea by everyone for my novel. : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Would like to run an idea by everyone for my novel.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
roda havet
Captain

Would like to run an idea by everyone for my novel.

Postby roda havet » Wed May 20, 2015 9:11 am

I would like to ask what everyone thinks about my idea I'm going to use in my novel? So, here is the gist of things my novel is about a girl who is not from the human world (would like to keep who she is a secret) that lives in the human world along side vampires at one point. Well the vampires do not feed on humans or any over humans that aren't willing, with that being said I had to create a way for the vampire to live and eat. This is where my problem comes in I don't want to have a drink they have like all other stories, so I thought to turn it into a nutrition bar made of oats to hold it together with different blood types that are needed. I call them the "Hemo Bars" and they are made in a lab using samples of human blood. This is all done using a test tube to create more blood samples after getting the first one. This is still a working progress but would love to hear some thoughts about it so far. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Would like to run an idea by everyone for my novel.

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 am

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 am

I don't like the twilight series myself. I like the vampire stuff like Underworld, True Blood, and Blade just to name a few. And I am still researching the test tube idea and how to keep things real. I like the vampires as they have always been but I didn't want to do the same thing over and over again. And as for the girl well I guess I can go on and tell what she is I have added a bit of a twist she is a mermaid but can live as humans do. Please tell me what do you think about that as well? As for the expanding their race if a human is willing to be turned then that is one way and in some cases it happens in the heat of the moment and other are still by force of those vampires who still don't like humans much. That's to come later in the book though, I'm still working out some kinks for the beginning. I really do appreciate your advice on this all. Thank you! :D
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed May 20, 2015 12:06 pm

The twist is fine as long as it's well-written and adds to the overall plot of the story. The best advice I can give on the blood stuff is to take a look at how the police and FBI inspect blood and dna. You'll find plenty of information about studies and equipment.

It's already started but there's a free online forensics course offered through Coursera. Great info and case studies. Plus it's free.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed May 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Okay, thank you very much. The story in my opinion truly begins when the vampires appear but I'm having a time getting up to that point trying to tell why they are there and how they know about the main character. As a female I'm trying to stay away from too many love scenes, as I like more action than the drama and love stuff so it's taking me longer than I thought. I have found even for someone who likes action movies and don't mind the gore in shows it's still hard to write one without having some love involved.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu May 21, 2015 8:02 am

Terry thank you very much for the advice about looking up dna and blood. I found a site where a scientist created artificial blood now I just have to read it along with the other reports that I found on the same scientist. I have found this very fascinating. Again thank you! :mrgreen:

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 am

Thanks Ryanmpelton. I have done a little more on this since I made this post. But I had to go back to the beginning of my story and start rewriting some of it. :)

Return to Conversation question