[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Have You Written Your First Draft Already? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Have You Written Your First Draft Already?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
His Majesty
Private E-1

Re: Have You Written Your First Draft Already?

Postby His Majesty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:02 pm

First drafts, to me anyway, are easy. They are cathartic exercises designed to get those damn words, ideas, and scenes out of my head and onto paper...in a manner of speaking. I pay no attention to grammar, syntax, dialog, and especially word count when I do a first draft. The fun part comes when I do my editing during the second and third draft stages.

Just get it out. Worry about the rest later.

mahiasikta
Private E-1

Postby mahiasikta » Sun May 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi, you all guys are really so intelligent and genius! how can you do that? I can't more than 500 words a day! Have any suggestion for me? Please help me if you can.
Thanks.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun May 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon May 18, 2015 10:50 am

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon May 18, 2015 11:25 am

Dreamca7cher
Private E-1

Postby Dreamca7cher » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:56 pm

I finished my first draft about a month ago, and I'm excited to have it finished. I'm in the transition to typing it and adding the depth and changes needed to it. At the moment a friend is reading it, so I'm reading other novels in the mean time, just to get an idea to see how I could make the book smoother once I type it!

Apococlock
Private E-1

Postby Apococlock » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 pm

It's really cool to see how differently people approach tackling first drafts. I think I'm probably one of the weirder ones.

I finished the first draft of my first book of a series around May. I don't know about you guys, but when I finish anything large, I immediately become super sad. I knew at the time it wasn't done, and I would need to go back and edit like crazy, but I was more or less useless for a solid month after it was done.

Like a lot of people here, I don't outline. I do plan a lot, though. I don't like to sit down and just let the story go wherever the heck my mind wants to take it. I like to think about the characters when I drive around, which I do practically all day for my job. In thinking about the characters and the world, and what I think they'll do, the scenarios play out in my head until one really feels perfect. That's when I sit down and write.

So I may go days without writing, but then on the third or fourth day I'll fire out several chapters. Then I'm usually too exhausted to keep going unless I have a good idea of what I'm writing toward.

Writing a first draft might be easy for some people. Don't let that get you down, though. Completing a first draft is a huge accomplishment, and you should be proud of that.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:52 pm

I'm with you James, I don't/can't outline and I can't plot out a story. I have a vague idea and as I sit down to write, the computer and my fingers just take over and out comes a story. Maybe age has something to do with it. I've lived a long time and have many experiences and characters to draw from, although that is not always the case. Sometimes, I look at a picture and make up a story about what the character/characters might do in a given situation. That is a very fun way to write a story and also, like you say, it is usually done in about two or three hours. I wrote one published story in 45 minutes and it was published just as written. It was my very first story and I got $40 for it. That was in 1974. Wish I would have saved that check stub. Anyway, writing is game and it is fun to play.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

westwesterm
Private E-1

Postby westwesterm » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:59 am

As a rule, my laziness stands on my way to finishing a novel. Once I've written a half of it or more, I tend to think of myself being a hero and that I've earned to have some rest. That can last for days...

Previous

Return to Conversation question