[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Movies that made you want to go home and write. : Conversation question • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Okay, so Shadows in the Sun just arrived. Now to find time to sit down and watch it. Have family coming in from Michigan tomorrow, so it's either this evening, or wait unto Monday.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:50 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Okay, I saw the ending of Shadows in the Sun coming about a quarter of the way through, but it's still an exceptionally good movie, and is now in my favorites rack of our storage cabinet. Really, really good movie for writers.

Swallow90
Private E-1

Postby Swallow90 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:18 am

Brighton Rock (2010) did that for me. I really admire films/books that are so tightly written and not overblown. Every minute I was kept completely hooked!

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:04 am

I've seen more movies that make me want to go home and read, pack a suitcase for an adventure or pry my eyes out with a spoon, but I can only think of one that made me want to write. Under the Tuscan Sun, but that was probably still driven by the desire to travel and find that cool house.

123count
Private E-1

Postby 123count » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:27 am

I don't know if you remember "Titanic", the movie but I've watched a hundred times.
Ever since it was shown on movies and even on videos, I still find time to watch that film.
It is such a tragic story that I want to write about.
Not only with its love story, but how one expects an untimely death.

Charles_Habakkuk
Private E-1

Postby Charles_Habakkuk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Ron Howard's Apollo Thirteen is such a tightly written story with great characterization and arcs. That movie is outstanding as an example of concise writing.
Writing about faith and mental illness in southern Indiana.

http://charleshabakkuk.wordpress.com/

TLCole
Private E-1

Postby TLCole » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Misery. Kidding. But, it's the first movie that popped into my head when I read the question and I promise it did NOT inspire me to go home and put pen to paper. The only movie that ever remotely gave me the desire to craft a story would have to be Forest Gump. I loved how it incorporated so much history and just seemed so..believable. I just loved it. It may have been the fact that I was 4 months pregnant at the time and the hormones but who knows. I'll share the story. My brother took me to a movie a few weeks before Forest Gump opened and one of the previews was Forest Gump. Tom Hanks sitting on the bench and saying his part and then the feather blowing up into the air and I bawled like a baby. I thought it was so beautiful. Again, probably pregnancy hormones. My brother poked fun at me for crying at a commercial. Anyway, what did he do then? My sweet brother stood in line to buy advanced tickets to that movie 2 days before it premiered at our local theater and he took me to see it. I went home thinking of the person that wrote that book that inspired the movie and it made me wonder of writing myself. And how that person could have thought to weave all of that together.

*Interesting side note. My child, to this day, must always watch Forest Gump if she comes across it channel surfing and it is and always has been her favorite movie. We like to think she felt my love of the movie and could hear the entire movie right where she was. Who knows, but very nice thought for us :)

There is my movie inspiration towards writing. Great question!! Thanks for posting!! It was great to think back :)

Theresa

Lolitalala
Private E-1

Postby Lolitalala » Wed May 06, 2015 8:11 am

I'm already counting days to premiere of new film "Ant-Man". The story about Dr. Hank Pam,a biochemist, who tries to derive a formula that allows to change the size of living organisms. His first attempts are unsuccessful, but later he finds a tool to communicate with the insects and control them.

(URL removed - please contact the WD advertising department for all your promotional needs -pls.)

bdukes2962
Private E-1

Postby bdukes2962 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:16 am

The first time it happened was when we were asked to write something after watching the film adaptation of Waller's "The bridges of the Madison County".

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question