[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Favorite Childhood book : Book Discussion • Page 15 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Favorite Childhood book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
cosivantutte
Private First Class

Re: Favorite Childhood book

Postby cosivantutte » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 am

When I was younger, I'd read anything that had an interesting title or cover picture. Ghost stories, mysteries, fantasy books, sci-fi - I wasn't overly particular. However, the books that I really loved were (in no specific order) :

1) the original Nancy Drew books. The titles were like magic to me - full of secrets and passwords and hidden fill-in-the-blanks.

2) Bruce Coville's Bunnicula series. Great characters, humor, and writing.

3) All of John Bellairs' Johnny Dixon/Lewis Barnavalt books. I'd never read a series before that treated the Catholic faith with such respect and as an important part of the story. I also loved how off-the-wall absurd his humor could be.

4) Harry Cat's Pet Puppy by George Selden. Poor Tucker Mouse was such a frazzled housewife. :lol: I absolutely loved the illustrations.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:33 pm

I liked most all of the Grimm's Fairy-tales, Aesop's Fables and Gulliver's Travels. (from the ChildCraft collection, anyone else have that set?)

Then later I loved the Judy Blume books.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:09 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne.
The Secret Seven by Enid Blyton.
The Hobbit by J.R. Tolkien.
The Lion, the With, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

These were my favorite books through junior high school (middle school).
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am

Bethany
Private E-1

Postby Bethany » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:54 am

I had a book in my childhood, full of different fairy tails. It was really old. My favorites were The Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella. Still love these ones.

Lesley Vos
Private E-1

Postby Lesley Vos » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 am

Mine was Brothers Grimm's tales :P

His Majesty
Private E-1

Postby His Majesty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm

The Stand.

stefaniasail
Private E-1

Postby stefaniasail » Tue May 12, 2015 4:53 am

I love Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, actually still do. Finding new meaning though was a revelation.

emilyjohnson33333
Private E-1

Postby emilyjohnson33333 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:35 am

I remember it was "A Child's Garden of Verses" (Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson).
Pleasant memories.... ;)
Writer and Blogger.
TWITTER @emilyjohnson322
FACEBOOK /emilyjohnson33333

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion