[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I need help writing : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I need help writing

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Livve4
Private E-1

Re: I need help writing

Postby Livve4 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:55 pm

I think writing can be both fun and hard work. Very few things are all or nothing. I know for me it's sometimes hard to get myself to sit down and start writing, but once I start I enjoy the rush.

The biggest block for me was worrying what people would think of my writing. I spent years feeling guilty about my daydreams because I thought it was weird to fantasize and make up stories about people who don't exist. Then one day I realized I was weird no matter what and started writing the stories down. I'm saying this because I think the worst block a writer can experience is the perceived sense of fear that other people will think their writing is bad or they are stupid/crazy/pathetic. If you are going through this, I hope you stop worrying and just let yourself write. It doesn't need to be perfect. It will get better with practice.

More concisely: if you can't write because you think your writing is bad. You have to practice and research.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:46 pm

The Rule of Three

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:38 am

I didn't quite understand your post, but if you mean you like to write short pieces of whatever's on your mind that day, nonfiction essay or opinion pieces or whatever, then why not keep doing it. I'm sure there are markets for it although I don't know much about it since that's not what I usually write.

Also, here's a site you can sign up for to get tips for improving your grammar.
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

Dexterleehall
Private E-1

Postby Dexterleehall » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:14 pm

Dexterhall
Private E-1

Postby Dexterhall » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:53 pm

I've been reading short stories. Eventually, I have the patience to read longer stories. In addition, i'm trying to improve my vocabulary.

guydevalmont
Private E-1

Postby guydevalmont » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:29 pm

JennaSayles
Private E-1

Postby JennaSayles » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi Dexterleehall,
In reading your posts, I'm trying to figure out what you mean by stating you want to "become a better writer".
Are you wanting to improve your general writing skill, because you know you should?
Or do you have, somewhere inside of you, the driving desire to tell a story on paper?
Proud author (writing as J.E. Sayles) at Mundania Press.
I love to write, and I love teaching others how to write to get published.

Joel Dulin
Private E-1

Postby Joel Dulin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:33 pm

Previous

Return to Conversation question