[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
publishing options : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

publishing options

bushman1
Private E-1

publishing options

Postby bushman1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Hello Forum,
I would like to get some feedback and discuss some publishing options I am considering. Here are some initial facts:
I have written an 83,000 word book about off grid living, homesteading, survival and adventure. Chapter topics are quite variable. To give you an idea, one chapter is devoted to homesteading in Maine, another to tree farming and logging, a chapter to a winter thru hike of the Appalachian trail, another chapter to a cross country bicycle trip, a chapter devoted to being surrounded by a forest fire to a couple chapters about living 100 miles in the Canadian bush. I am able to get the book to flow from chapter to chapter in a semblance of order. My intent is to supplement this book with approximately 100 pictures.

I have fired off query letters to lots of agents and publishers. I have had quite a bit of good feedback. The gist being, I have 3 small publishers so far interested in exploring this further with me.

I am taking nothing for granted and am pursuing several paths. I don't know whether I will be better off self publishing via kindle and the like or whether the traditional publisher is the way to go. That of course assumes one of the publishers takes the project on and at what contract terms.

If I do self publish an ebook, then I have several options:
1. Publish my ebook in its entirety as a 220? page book or
2. Publish in appropriate chunks of 3 or 4 separate books ( Book 1 has all the early homesteading chapters, book 2 has the travel adventures stories, book 3 has wilderness stories, book 4 has other topics.

It seems to me, I might have a better shot of marketing, garnering favorable reviews and keeping reader interest if I broke the book up and created a 4 book package. Plus easier for reader downloads especially with many pictures and the selling price might be more favorable. Instead of $6.99 ?? for the whole book, if I sold for $1.99 ?? I come out ahead. I would expect numerous reader questions in regards to the content of the book which would make adding a 5th book (answers to readers questions) easy to implement.

I already have a website and facebook page devoted to the book and am confident in my marketing abilities. I'm wondering if anyone might have some experience with the concept I've outlined. I truly appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: publishing options

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:34 pm

I went the self-publishing route because I truly do not have the time to wait for agent after agent to decide whether they like my work, or even reply to my query. If you have traditional publishers already interested in your story, I'd say go ahead with them. Landing a traditional publisher these days is like reeling in a humungous fish. Don't throw away what you already have.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

bushman1
Private E-1

Postby bushman1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello Oldtimer,
Thanks for the response. That's really the big variable in all this. I have the interest from several publishers but no commitment. I will certainly let this play out and wouldn't make any decisions for at least several months.

But as you mentioned, it may be a long time if ever that they follow through and instead of wasting this time, I want to explore every avenue so if need be, the decision to self publish will be easy.

Price point and breaking the book up into sections is what I'm wrestling with now. If traditionally published, that's the publishers decision and I doubt they would break it up which is fine. But self publishing gives me some flexibility and my book lends itself to being broken up into a few segments to be published separately.

Thanks again for the feedback. I wish you the best.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Just remember that not all "publishers" are of equal quality. If they ask you for money, run! And do your research. Even if they aren't asking you for money, if a publisher can't move your books, can't sell copies and bring in readers, then what do you need them for? There are a whole heap of publishers out there that don't have a clue what they're doing. Anyone can start their own publishing company. Anyone. It pays to know who you're dealing with, because a rotten publisher is worse than no publisher at all.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

bushman1
Private E-1

Postby bushman1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi Updog,
Thank you for the feedback. For sure, none of these small publishers are asking for any money from me. I've researched them and am confident they are legitimate. But, as with anything else, there is wide variability in publishers and I'll evaluate things properly once they make a decision. My pondering self publishing is merely a plan b in the event a traditional publisher doesn't pan out for me.

Return to General Questions & Discussions