Any Exophonic Writers Out There?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Oleg Hasanov
Private E-1

Any Exophonic Writers Out There?

Postby Oleg Hasanov » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:38 am

Exophony is a literary phenomenon, where writers choose to write in a language other than their mother tongue. My native language is Russian, but I'm writing fiction in English. For many years I've been working as a language professional (teacher/translator/interpreter), and now I'm upgrading my life to a fiction/non-fiction writer. Does anyone of you write in a foreign language? And if so, what problems do you encounter?
What don't kill you make you more strong.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Any Exophonic Writers Out There?

Postby mammamaia » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:30 am

i've only written a few pieces of my 'philosetry' in both english and french versions... and i needed to have a native french-speaker to check them over for goofs [of which there were very few, happily], since i couldn't trust my own somewhat less than fluent translations...

however, i have mentored many hundreds of writers over the years, whose english was a second or third language, so i know all too well what pitfalls await those who attempt the feat... and how rarely it can be done well...

in doing rewrites a for client who is multi-lingual and not born to english, i take special pains to retain the 'character' of their native tongue that comes through in the translation, so the work is still in the author's own 'voice' and enhanced by the lovely rhythms of their speech patterns...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

roda havet
Captain

Re: Any Exophonic Writers Out There?

Postby roda havet » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:00 pm

I write poetry and have only tried writing one of them in another language. As you can see my name here is in Swedish "Roda havet" which means "Red sea". I have found that writing another language can be very hard sometimes but my reason for that is I'm teaching myself. And I am also trying to write a novel where I have tried to place some words in Swedish. I found a translation site and app that helps me. My native language is English. So good luck to you.
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Return to Conversation question