[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How often do you actually read books? : Book Discussion • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How often do you actually read books?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
cherrygrul
Private E-1

Re: How often do you actually read books?

Postby cherrygrul » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:30 pm

I set an hour or two everyday and call it as 'me time'. And no, sleeping is not part of 'me time'. What I do mostly is read a bunch of books, now here's the problem, I can't settle on just one book lol, if I feel like I don't like this part, I'll easily bookmark it and move to another one, only to return to the first one later. Right now I have three books which I haven't finished yet lol
Screenwriter for

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:56 pm

So many books, so little time! I try to read at least one hour a day, two if possible. My best reading time is the last couple of hours before I start making supper. Too early in the day and I feel guilty because I should be working at something else--laundry, housekeeping, cooking and WRITING. Too late, and I fall asleep. Currently, I am reading: Miriam Toew's A COMPLICATED KINDNESS (a Book Club book. We read and discuss one book a month), Mitch Albom's THE FIRST PHONE CALL FROM HEAVEN (a library book. I like the author's inspirational style), and two of Alexander McCall's newest books (because his books are relaxing, funny or thought-provoking, and he's one of my favourite authors).
[imge=3509-3]

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:26 am

In a typical week I might read one or two novels, but being a short story writer, it's not unusual for me to read a dozens of short stories alongside a novel.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:12 pm

It amazes me that anyone would want to be a writer, but not want to read as much as possible. You can't be a good writer without reading a ton of novel, short stories, and poems. It just is not going to happen, yet people keep trying. A ton is a gross understatement. I've read more than five hundred novels in one year, and I have no idea how many short stories, poems, articles, and soup can labels, It wouldn't surprise me to find I read an actual ton of writing that year.

Even though I don't read nearly as much as I used to, I still read at least two novels per week, and all kinds of short stories, poems, nonfiction, etc. Reading is what writing is all about. Without reading, without a lot of reading for a lot of years, there simply is no way to write well.

But it does not good to tell people this. Those who love to read do read. They read constantly, and make the time to fill their heads with good reading, which is also good writing. You don't need to tell these people to read, and you can't make anyone else read, even though they're living in a complete fantasy if they think they can write well without loving to read.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:21 pm

ATM, I'm reading three books. Usually I'm reading two. One is the main thing I'm reading (a literary fiction novel). The second is one I carry along in my car to be read when I'm at a coffee shop or restaurant (a series of essays by a writer best known as a novelist), and the third is one I downloaded (an out-of-print WWII novel available as an ebook). I'm not terribly keen on any of these, but I'll soldier through all of them (the literary fiction is written in first person, PLURAL, and it's hard for me to get invested, the essays are mostly psuedo-science far-left-wing-slanted stories involving the environment (I'd rather read Aldo Leopold), and the WWII novel is written in a variety of third omni that jumps into the heads of very minor characters).

I've had some responsibilities cut into my normal reading times, but usually I read about 100+ pages a day.

JessC
Private E-1

Postby JessC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:59 pm

I read books every night. I do this to make myself a more effective writer. Sometimes I can get my inspiration on the books I read.

Mike Mayweather
Private E-1

Postby Mike Mayweather » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:04 am

Same as Jess. Great for inspiration.

Regards

Mike
'The Eyes of the Devil'
2nd Book - The Shadow Grounds - (working title) - 70% done

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:17 am

I read early mornings upon rising (which may be 3:30 am) or evenings before going to bed. However, as I have 24/365 all day time, I may also read during the day. I love history and found a list of Pres. Clinker's (ER) Clinton's books which he has read. Today, the library told me the following books were in so I will pick up Reaching For Glory by Michael Beackloss; Against all Enemies by Richard Clarke and the last is a novel titled Pompai by Robert Harris. I am presently reading: Against All Enemies by Tom Clancey. It boggled my mind that there were two books by the same name. How can that be? The library pulled up the Clancy book thinking it was what I wanted, but then I pointed out the author so they had to get that book from another library. i must point out, if anyone want's to find out what is going on in the world of drug traffic, arms deals, and money laundering, Clancy's book is what you are looking for. My mind has been opened so wide, I felt like I was living in a caccoon for lack of knowledge about the things that are going on in the world. The above are all good reads and I am anxious to begin. I will be reading four books at one time. Can't beat that for not wasting time.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:07 pm

I am a steady reader, not fast, not slow. I read nearly every morning for about 15 minutes but that is nearly always some kind of motivational genre book now - Brian Tracy - No Excuses), then I write for about a half hour before I have to get the household up and moving. I generally am plowing through 2 books at a time, one is the carry around book, which is currently The Silence by Tim Lebbon. At night I massage my mind with something either inspirational or educational - right now my night reading is The Ark before Noah by Irving Finkel.

I have never been a voracious reader. For whatever reason, I cannot read for hours in a row. It doesn't matter how much I enjoy a book, somewhere between 30 & 45 minutes reading, I fall asleep. I have reading glasses - doesn't help. I can sit and write all day (of course I get up to stretch and grab a glass of water or cup of coffee but I can write all day.)

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion