[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Maine : Literary Hot Spots • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Maine

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Maine

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:51 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Maine

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:51 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Maine:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

alxkwriter
Private E-1

RE: Maine

Postby alxkwriter » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:43 pm

The Empire Grill in Skowhegan, Maine. Made famous by Richard Russo's book Empire Falls and the movie starring Paul Newman. I like this spot because, as HBO coined the phrase "every small town has a story to tell" this is true of The Empire Grill. Not only is it a great place to write but it's a fish bowl. Windows surround three sides of the restaurant, the food is great, they are WiFi connected, and hang around long enough and you will hear more gossip about the town, its inhabitants, small town politics, and even get to meet some of the original "Beane" family.....well, if not blood-related, certainly related by actions. If you don't know who the Beane Family of Egypt, Maine are...get the book if you can find it and read about them.....they don't say "that more chlorine needs to be added to the gene pool" for nothing around here!

You can find The Empire Grill in the center of town on Water Street....just look for the large neon-lit Indian Head....you can't miss it.

Enjoy the adventure!

Shantiann

Maine Writer
Private First Class

Re: Maine

Postby Maine Writer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:42 pm

With so many writers in Maine, why don't we have a Literary Hot Spot in every town? Sanford and Springvale, Maine don't have much of anything (and I don't mean just for writers). What's going on around here? This is one of the biggest states in the country.

GoalOriented
Private E-1

RE: Maine

Postby GoalOriented » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:13 pm

I agree with a previous post that we should have hotspots in each town. I think this state has more writers per capita than any other state. Rockland has Rock City Cafe, and for a quiet area, check out 3 Dogs Cafe in Rockport, a wi-fi spot that not enough people know about. I'm sure they'll appreciate the plug too.
Of course there's Barnes & Noble in Augusta, but on the coast, these two work. The cafe in Mr Paperback in Belfast is too crowded (but the food is great). Can anyone tell me about anything in Camden? Keep writing....will listen to that one myself.

Cassidy
Private E-1

Postby Cassidy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:29 am

I love Maine and whenever I am there I feel inspired. It is so beautiful especially on the coast. I think just sitting on a rock in the middle of the beach in mid-March would be my perfect literary hot spot. I don't think you have to have other writers around you to have a literary hot stop; I think where ever you are comfortable and inspired is your hot spot.

EJF
Private E-1

Postby EJF » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:46 pm

I agree with Cassidy, Maine is a state of inspiration. When it's too cold to sit outside and write, I prefer the Panera over in Westbrook. There's plenty of traffic for people watching, they have free wi fi and if you order a "to go" cup, you can refill all day long. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I snag the chair by the fireplace. Cozy!

LizMac
Private E-1

Postby LizMac » Thu May 08, 2014 9:12 am

Hello,

Sort of new here (to the state, the forum and to creative writing), so hope this is a good place to ask this question. I'm trying to find out if there any writing groups that meet in Central Maine? If not, would anyone be interested in starting one?

roxiesalwayswriting
Private E-1

Postby roxiesalwayswriting » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:34 pm

There are occasionally workshops at the Cobscook Community Center in Lubec, which is in Downeast! They are put on by the Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance. Great people! Arielle Greenberg, a poet who teaches in Southern Maine, taught one last winter. There's also a workshop going on in City Hall in Ellsworth, Maine, as well.

LizMac
Private E-1

Postby LizMac » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:52 am

Thank you! Even though I'm planning to leave Maine - at least for now. I'd like to return at some point, but would like to locate to a region that has more going on in areas that interest me, including arts, writing etc. So I will definitely check out the resources you mention. We'll see what life has in store.

Return to Literary Hot Spots