[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I Don't Know My Genre : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I Don't Know My Genre

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Ozz
Private E-1

I Don't Know My Genre

Postby Ozz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:41 pm

The novel I'm currently working on is confusing to me as far as the genre. It's fiction, and the main character starts at 16, but finishes at around 20. There are military, parenting, and 'coming of age' aspects. I'm not positive it falls into YA, but I don't really know where it would fall otherwise.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: I Don't Know My Genre

Postby mammamaia » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:21 am

YA is a 'market' not a 'genre'... other markets are: children's; MG; 'tween; new adult; 'adult...

genres are: romance; thriller; historical; coming-of-age; horror; erotica; and so on...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:02 am

I'm not sure what to tell you. I couldn't begin to write a good novel unless I decided on genre before writing word one, and wrote accordingly. The age of your protagonist could make it fall under YA, but as maia points out, YA is not a genre. YA contains the same genres any other age group does, which means horror, suspense, romance, mystery, SF, fantasy, and you name it.

You need to figure out which of these specific genres your novel best fits in, and write it accordingly. Agents and the publisher will decide whether it's truly YA, adult, etc.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:51 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

Ozz
Private E-1

Postby Ozz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Okay, I think the problem is that it's Action/Adventure, but not exclusively. I started writing it and it just came out. The more I type it up and fix errors I made while furiously scribbling (I write on paper with a pencil for all of my 'first draft' writing), the more I see the parts that aren't just Action. I'd like to post part of it in the critique section, but I'm not sure where to put it, as there is no Action/Adventure section, nor is there a Military Fiction section.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:12 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 am

it's a waste of time and energy to be agonizing over genre at this point... just finish writing the book and then, when you write the synopsis, the genre should be fairly easy to ascertain...

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:06 pm

I've seen some YA books that start out in the teens and end up ready for college (I can't recall the names... :? ). I think it would be a YA book if in most of the story your character is a teen.

Return to FAQs