Ebook proof checking

Righton4
Private E-1

Ebook proof checking

Postby Righton4 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:44 am

Hi all,

I'll be getting my ebook proof from my ebook publisher shortly and had a question.

Does anyone know of anyone software available (free or for purchase) that allows you to take your original manuscript (pdf or doc file) and compare it to the ebook proof that will be sent to me?

In essence a program that reads both files at the same time noting any differences between the original and the ebook proof and then highlighting them somehow, possibly like trackchanges in MS Word.

Thanks.
Mike

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Ebook proof checking

Postby TerryRodgers » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:21 am

I would think that your editor would use word tracking. Editors don't just make changes without telling you what they changed. If they do, they aren't doing their job properly. Now if they did make changes, they should send you the word document back. Word has a compare feature.

Righton4
Private E-1

Postby Righton4 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:06 pm

I wasn't clear in explaining my situation.
What I'm being sent is an ebook conversion file and I'm looking for a way to compare the my ebook in pdf form to the conversion file I'm being sent.

Sorry for the lack of specificity.
Any ideas on any software to do that.

xo

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:44 am

Are you looking at just the format, or actual line edits? I'm not sure of any program that will do this. Is this a mobi file? Maybe someone else here can let you know what the normal format is when the publisher is producing just an ebook. In book form, they would send you galleys. If it's just to look over the format, can't you throw the novel on a reader and go through it page by page?

There is a program out there called Calibre. Not sure if that will help.

Righton4
Private E-1

Postby Righton4 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks Terry,

It looks like I'll end up doing the edit off the epub file on my ereader.
What I'm asking for may not exist yet and anyway, as my proofreader/copyeditor friend appropriately reminded me, I'm looking for software that will assist in eventually putting proofreaders out of work. LOL

Terry, thanks for your imput, much appreciated.

Return to Covers & Formatting