[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Scariest book you ever read? : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Scariest book you ever read?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
alexandralamb97
Private E-1

Scariest book you ever read?

Postby alexandralamb97 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:05 am

I try not to let myself get creeped out by novels, especially ones in which things happen that could never really happen in real life, but every now and then, one of them really gets to me. "Grey Matter" by Stephen King flat-out ruined a full week for me when I read it a year ago, and if I start thinking about it by accident, I recall the horribleness of the whole story, and it sticks on my mind for ages. There's just something about how King is able to tap into all your senses and make you really feel as if you were in the story which makes his books seem so real and frightening, even when the plot is totally out there. Of all the stories you ever read, what scared you the most?

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Scariest book you ever read?

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:36 pm

Interesting topic. I don't believe I have ever been frightened while reading a book.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:07 am

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:21 am

I rarely get scared by a book, and I read a lot of horror. One story that did frighten me, though, was Henry James's "The Turn of the Screw." I read it as a youngster, and man it scared the bejesus out of me. Some years ago I re-read it as an adult, and although it didn't have quite the same effect, it still creeped me out.

I am no Henry James fan, but I do feel "The Turn of the Screw" is the best--and scariest--ghost story ever written.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

His Majesty
Private E-1

Postby His Majesty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Naturally, as a child, it was a one-two punch of The Shining and 'Salem's Lot.
As an adult, it would have to be Helter Skelter or any other human horror stories about cults.

CantSkate
Private E-1

Postby CantSkate » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 pm

For me this is easy, as a young child I read Robert Heinlein's The Puppet Masters. For whatever reason it scared me out of my wits. I spent the next few months slapping people on their backs before I would talk to them.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:43 am

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:16 am

I didn't read scary books as a child but man I wish I could find now. I have been looking for a scary book but I can't seem to find myself. I asked my husband to find me a good book to read yesterday and he found me "Darkness Brutal" (The Dark Cycle Book 1) by Rachel A. Marks. I just started reading it and I'm up to chapter 2 but it's not scary but so far it is a good book.
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:26 am

I can't say that a book has ever scared me. A short story did the trick once, though.

Shirley Jackson.

I still get uneasy about it.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to Book Discussion