[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
FIRST PERSON : FAQs • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

FIRST PERSON

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
pls
Site Admin

Re: FIRST PERSON

Postby pls » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Just finished a semi-epistolary novel ("Egg and Spoon") in which the narrator is in prison all through the novel, and yet he is able to relate the thoughts of several people in the story. I had enough problem with believing in a talking kitten and a walking house (okay, it was fantasy). But not a narrator that was so omni that he had the powers of God (and broke into the story often with his "dear reader" comments). These seem to be much less believable than present-tense narrative.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Yeah, the idea of a character writing down her story as it's happening is just stupid, but that's only one way of looking at present tense. This might shock some of you, but characters aren't writing anything down, ever, they're just the tool the writer uses to help you experience the world through a second set of eyes. If you have an imagination, you should be able to put yourself inside a character's head and live the story through them. And if you can do this, it is perfectly logical to see things happening as if they're happening now. When I read, the story is a movie playing in my head, so whether a character "picks up a book" or "picked up a book", I see her picking that book up, and I don't give any thought at all to whether this happened ten imaginary years ago or happens right this imaginary second. In my mind, she picks that book up when I read about her doing it.

The reason I prefer past tense to present is because most writers don't know how to write good present tense, and it comes out clunky. Bad writing is bad in any tense though.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

chongjasmine
Private E-1

Postby chongjasmine » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 am

Try the assassin series by Robin hobb.
They are in first person and are exciting to read.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:03 am

The Rule of Three

SonicTremor
Private E-1

Postby SonicTremor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:53 pm

If I'm not mistaken, The Hunger Games is first-person, present tense.

No matter how unnatural it seems to some people, others will find it just fine, and those others just might make it into a blockbuster movie franchise, so don't let anybody tell you there's a right and wrong way to do it.

That said, if it HAS TO BE first person, I prefer first person, past tense. I have written two of those myself.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:25 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:29 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:50 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright