[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
That vs. Which : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

That vs. Which

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
rjas2112
Private E-1

That vs. Which

Postby rjas2112 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 pm

I have a pedantic grammatical question.

When is it appropriate to use "that" in the nominative, and when is it appropriate to use "which?"

For instance, "The shovel which he had used to dig the grave was leaning in the corner." or "The shovel that he had used to dig the grave was leaning in the corner."

Is there even any difference, or can the two be used interchangeably?

Thanks.

pls
Site Admin

Re: That vs. Which

Postby pls » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:51 am

There are rules governing the use of "that" and "which", but I cheat and depend upon Microsoft Word to remind me which one is appropriate.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:53 am

Grammar Girl all the way, although I'm the same as Paul.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:03 am

just google 'that vs which' and you'll find all the info you need...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:03 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:15 am

The shovel he used to dig the grave was leaning in the corner.

Grammar girl nails it, but first make sure you need that or which.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:01 am

There's always who.

The boy, who had long hair, volunteered to be shaved first.

The boy who had long hair volunteered to be shaved first.
The Rule of Three

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Strunk and White have an excellent example (involving, iirc, a horse in a paddock). It's hard to write good examples, but here's my attempt.

The puppy that is in the tall grass is going home with me.
(I'd use this in a situation where puppies were scattered about, but only one was in the tall grass).

The puppy, which is in the tall grass, is going home with me.
(here I'm merely telling you where the puppy is.)

these examples are less than perfect, because you could delete "that is" or "which is" without loss of clarity.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:09 am

Next

Return to FAQs