[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Banned--Or Simply Shunned? : Conversation question • Page 7 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Banned--Or Simply Shunned?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Perior
Sergeant Major of the Army

RE: Banned--Or Simply Shunned?

Postby Perior » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:43 pm

Just as a publisher has the right to publish what they please so is it the right of a bookstore to carry what it pleases. I'm sure we all have read the rules of Writer's Digest website to keep it readbale for teenagers; that does not mean hard and engaging subjects it means how they are presented.

KeithMN
Lieutenant

Postby KeithMN » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:16 am

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Something is not "banned" until the government deems it unfit for public consumption.

Nobody banned this book.  Private enterprise dictates that whoever has the money gets to decide what goes on the shelves.  My grandpa ran a country store in deep Mississippi years ago.  He refused to stock red chile sauce.  He did, however, sell a lot of Tobasco sauce.  He knew what would sell and what wouldn't, and that's how he decided what went on the shelves.

No difference here.

Even if a bookstore is a national chain, do we really want to force them to waste shelf space on something that the owners have decided won't sell?

CandyApple
Private E-1

Postby CandyApple » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 am

WARNING: TEENAGE WRITER RESPONDING

I don't really care whether Borders banned or shunned the book. I don't care about the marketing reasons as to why they chose not to carry it. All I know is that, this book is not at Borders for some reason that sparked an article in Writer's Digest. Sweet! Now I'm gonna go find it, buy it, and read it! Personally, I hope one of my books does become banned or censored. People will definitely read it then! Embrace the controversy and your teenage audience struggling for some form of rebellion!

As to the idea put to question: "Do you think it's OK for bookstores not to carry a book based on theme?"

No. I think censorship, in almost every circumstance, is wrong. The book in question was theoretically declined because of its mature content influencing an "immature" audience--teenagers. Please, please, please world! Stop trying to sugar-coat everything and protect me from the evil forces of sex and drugs! I think teenagers know a lot more than adults give them credit for. Teens know about topics surrounding sex before they even hit puberty. Some know more than many adults. Trying to ban books is not going to help teens understand the consequences of being sexually active. In fact, books on that topic may actually help us understand and make better decisions. Give us the benefit of your adult wisdom instead of trying to protect us. It only hurts us in the end when we become so curious about this mysterious thing called "sex" that we go and try it without any previous knowledge.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:29 am

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:12 pm

I can only offer a POV from the bars I frequent. In most of the bars I visit, they have a sign posted: "We have the right to refuse service to anyone." If they ever refuse to serve me for whatever reason, I'll go somewhere else.

It will hurt me a little, yes, but I'll find another place to go.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:46 pm

MonikaM
Private E-2

Re: Banned--Or Simply Shunned?

Postby MonikaM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:23 pm

Sometimes controversial writings can be reason for banning and even posting illicit messages can also lead to banning.

Linton Robinson
Corporal

Postby Linton Robinson » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:45 am

So, did she manage to pull off losing her virginity?
Was it in the "How To" section?

NMMillan
Sergeant

Postby NMMillan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

The link posted isn't working so I wasn't able to read the article, but I know I have seen much more controversial themes at Borders. Perhaps the story wasn't strong enough for the company to have faith in it's success?

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question