[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Anybody else dislike Facebook? : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Anybody else dislike Facebook?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Fishgeek
Private E-1

Anybody else dislike Facebook?

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 am

I some point I decided Facebook was not for me. The look at me I went to the grocery store today just doesn't cut it for me. So called friends posting disparaging things about whom I voted for president was the final straw. But the creepy thing is after terminating my account 3 times now, Facebook keeps reinstating it! It's kind of like the the line from the Eagles song Hotel California: "You can check out but you can never leave!"

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Anybody else dislike Facebook?

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 am

I use Facebook every day and enjoy the encounters with former students, family, other writers, and friends that I've known since the '60's, all 700+ of them. I've learned to control it to suit my needs as I realize that I can't control what people post, although sometimes I can give them a gentle nudge when they get out of line. It also has become my best source for breaking news.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:33 am

Facebook has a place. I don't think anyone has effectively turned it into a business tool. A few flashes in the pan here and there. But even the makers of Farmville (Zynga) are struggling to stay out of bankruptcy.

If you want to stay in touch, FB is pretty okay. If you want to have a decent debate... not so much.

Fishgeek, it *sounds* like you're suspending the account, not terminating it. Just a guess.
Last edited by robjvargas on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:22 pm

I don't have Facebook. I don't carry a phone with me everywhere I go either. Guess I'm self-absorbed. :oops:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Last edited by Fishgeek on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Last edited by Fishgeek on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 pm

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:39 am

My personal experience is that suspending FB is the best you can hope for---it never really goes away. I hate pretty much everything about FB, and I especially hate that every app and shopping site, etc. tries to force me to connect. I ditched my account with my distinctive last name and opened one in my maiden name (which is very generic) just for those occasions where I might need FB---looking at musicians' and authors' pages, business sites, etc. My current pet peeve is that it keeps making my location public. I set it back to private and a few days later it's public again. I have only a bare minimum of information on there, but I don't want any of it made public.

Next

Return to Take it Outside!