[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Insights of a former MFA teacher. Many of us are screwed. : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Insights of a former MFA teacher. Many of us are screwed.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Insights of a former MFA teacher. Many of us are screwed.

Postby DrG2 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:42 am

I don't know how well this person writes or teaches, but:

http://www.thestranger.com/books/featur ... ach-in-one

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Re: Insights of a former MFA teacher. Many of us are screwed

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:36 am

Last edited by Fishgeek on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:43 am

Interesting article. I believe James and Maia have preached many of the points. The only one I disagree with, and I have to because it refers to me, is the one about starting to write when you are in your 30s and 40s. I hope he's wrong. I believe I've learned more about myself and talents after I left my 20's. What I will instead say is maybe my chances are slimmer than someone who's been writing since their teens.

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:50 am

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:13 am

Of course not. I wouldn't be into my fourth novel if I didn't think that someday I would write something worthy of publication. :D

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:00 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:06 am

Every word of that article is true. I have no idea why it bothers anyone? I'm all for confidence, but anyone who think we're all equal in intelligence, talent, or ability, is living in a dream world. There's something each of us can do pretty well, and there are otehr things we can't do well because we simply lack the mental tools required. There's nothing wrong with this. It's being human.

Not everyone has what it takes to be a good writer, anymore than everyone has what it takes to be a theoretical mathematician.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't try whatever interests us, but knowing when you're attempting something you'll never be any good at is the best way to avoid ruining your life. There's a time to try, and there's a time to quit and move on. The biggest failure is not quitting. If this were true, most of the successful people out there wouldn't be known because really successful people usually fail, yes, fail, at several things before finding teh thing they do well.

The biggest failure is not knowing when to quit and move on before it's too late.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:11 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Fishgeek
Private E-1

Postby Fishgeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:01 pm

James,

We'll just have to agree do disagree. While I agree with your point that some will have an easier time than others, and that some folks will never reach their goals, I still say there are too many folks that are too quick to judge others. Ironically some who put themselves up on a pedestal aren't as good as they think they are.

Next

Return to Conversation question