[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
computer or notebook or other device for writing : FAQs • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

computer or notebook or other device for writing

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
robjvargas
Captain

Re: computer or notebook or other device for writing

Postby robjvargas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:37 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:14 am

amen to all that, rob!

after working only on desktop computers from the mid '80s up to 2000, i've been working exclusively on laptops since then, typing for many hours at a stretch, all day, every day...

first, typing on that flat surface right up against the screen was killing my wrists, tiring my arms... fiddling with the ball mouse was a major pain, then the flat plate was even worse... so i've always purchased a peripheral keyboard and mouse, which saved me from serious lasting bodily damage, saved my laptops from being thrown through the nearest window out of frustration...

ever since i discovered the wonderful 'media' keyboard, i've used nothing else... it doesn't have the computer keys on the right, so it keeps my hand closer to the mouse, makes typing faster/easier and saves space on the typing 'ledge' [i place my laptop on the desktop and the keyboard/mouse below, which gives me the perfect heights for viewing and typing...

and beginning carpal tunnel syndrome was stopped cold when i found the ergonomic, upright 'evoluent' mouse... the keyboards are dirt cheap at under $15 and the mouse worth thrice the cost, in saving me from pain, wrist braces and permanent damage...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:15 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:37 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:56 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:49 pm

I have had arthritis issues in my neck and hand numbness long before I started using my computer hours at a time. Almost anything can flare up those issues for me. When I paint I have a terrible time with my hands going numb when I sleep. I see a chiropractor, an acupuncturist, and a massage therapist to help me with my issues as much as I can. My biggest problem isn't necessarily from using a laptop. I happen to carry stress in my back and neck and I'm very muscular for a woman. Exercising can bring on a migraine because I'm always so tight. Using a laptop doesn't help much but sitting in a desk chair for hours makes my feet swell and my lower back goes out so I have better luck doing what Pls does. I write where I can put my feet up. My laptop is always on a lapdesk wherever I'm using it and I see my people as much as I can to keep me straightened out. I'm far more productive when I can take my laptop where I am most comfortable. I have a busy household so I need to be able to relocate when I'm being productive.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:57 pm

full disclosure: I might be a mutant. I've really never had a problem w/ laptop. Right now, I'm sitting on the floor, legs crossed, with laptop in my lap.

SusanPotter
Private E-1

Postby SusanPotter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:19 pm

All my work ends up on drives attached to my laptop ... but since said laptop is elderly and needs to remain plugged into the wall outlet a lot of writing happens (at first) with any thing that makes a mark and anything I can get that mark on to. Sometimes this means a tiny notebook & pencil; other times it is a Sharpie and somewhere on my hand/arm - in hopes I don't lose any of these before it gets into the hard drive!

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs